Concentrating sunlight to creat different extream temperatures

• Thread starter douglasg14b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sunlight
In summary, the conversation is about using mirrors and lenses to concentrate sunlight for high temperature purposes, particularly for a physics project. The idea was inspired by using a plastic Fresnel lens in the 1970s, which was able to generate temperatures up to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit. The conversation also mentions the use of non-imaging optics for even higher temperatures. The budget for the project is estimated to be around $100-$150. Suggestions for achieving high temperatures within this budget include using a large lens and mirrors, as well as using a 12V halogen car headlight bulb with a parabolic reflector. Various websites and products are mentioned as potential resources for the project.
douglasg14b
I am wondering of a way to concentrate sunlight to an extent to create high temperatures that vary depending on how many mirrors, lenses...etc i use and so on...it is an idea i have for a physics project any suggestions on how i might go about this would be muchly appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
In the 1970's I bought a plastic, 12" x 12" x .2" Fresnel lens from Edmund Scientific Company for $6. I would guess that in full sunlight it generated over 1500o F. Paper would catch fire in a couple of seconds; in general, organic material would easily vaporize. It would take out not just an ant, but the whole anthill. I believe I melted lead with it; I have heard said that it could melt a penny. It seemed to ablate concrete. I probably have some eye damage thanks to my youthful nonchalance.

For really high temperatures, check out "nonimaging optics".
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_n22_v135/ai_7344688

using non-imaging optics to concentrate sunlight

how might i go about using mirrors and a large lens or 2 to concenrate sunlight enough to attain 3500-8500k or the closest i can within limited funds [physics project] and also how i might measure the temp.

Loren Booda said:
I probably have some eye damage thanks to my youthful nonchalance.
*tsk tsk* They're called welding goggles my friend...:rolleyes: The biggest lens I have is a 8.5"x11" fresnel page magnifier.:frown: Douglas, your question might be easier to answer if we had a general ballpark on your budget.

Captain Barbosa said:
*tsk tsk* They're called welding goggles my friend...:rolleyes: The biggest lens I have is a 8.5"x11" fresnel page magnifier.:frown: Douglas, your question might be easier to answer if we had a general ballpark on your budget.
can you expand on that...if you are saying i need space i live on a farm so i have abundant space. and would concentrating light on a large lens using mirrors increase the concentration of sunlight on the other side of the lens thus increasing the temperature?

douglasg14b said:
and would concentrating light on a large lens using mirrors increase the concentration of sunlight on the other side of the lens thus increasing the temperature?
Assuming the lens could survive the already concentrated energy, I don't see why not.

For the budget thing, how can we keep a limited budget in mind if we have no idea what that budget is? Are we talking tens, hundreds, or thousands of dollars here?

Last edited:
Captain Barbosa said:
Assuming the lens could survive the already concentrated energy, I don't see why not.

For the budget thing, how can we keep a limited budget in mind if we have no idea what that budget is? Are we talking tens, hundreds, or thousands of dollars here?

we are speaking the budget that one would use or a advanced high school physics project[year long] like 100 to150$ I am not going to spend allot on a grade.

This might not sound as much fun as a solar furnace, but you can easily heat up small objects to 1000C in a few minutes, using the light from a a 12V halogen car headlight bulb instead of sunlight.

We had a test rig for doing high temp experiments on objects about 1mm cube that used that method for heating, with a feedback loop and a controller to vary the lamp output once the object had got up to the working temperature.

The bulbs already contain a parabolic reflector, so you don't need any fancy optics to make this work.

AlephZero said:
This might not sound as much fun as a solar furnace, but you can easily heat up small objects to 1000C in a few minutes, using the light from a a 12V halogen car headlight bulb instead of sunlight.

We had a test rig for doing high temp experiments on objects about 1mm cube that used that method for heating, with a feedback loop and a controller to vary the lamp output once the object had got up to the working temperature.

The bulbs already contain a parabolic reflector, so you don't need any fancy optics to make this work.

So did you use a 2nd (no bulb) headlight to concentrate the light from the source headlight?

Here is a 20.5" x 36" fresnel I just found that you can buy for 80 bucks plus shipping. http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/item/24L021/32/20%2E5%22%2DX%2D36%22%2DGiant%2DFresnel%2DLens

Some of them are a bit out of your price range, but here are some more to choose from if you want. http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productid=2040

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Concentrating sunlight to creat different extream temperatures

1. How does concentrating sunlight create extreme temperatures?

Concentrating sunlight involves using mirrors or lenses to focus a large amount of sunlight onto a small area, which results in a higher intensity of heat. This intense heat can reach extreme temperatures, depending on the efficiency of the concentrator and the amount of sunlight available.

2. What are the practical applications of concentrating sunlight to create extreme temperatures?

Concentrating sunlight to create extreme temperatures has various practical applications, such as generating electricity through solar thermal power plants, heating materials for industrial processes, and powering solar furnaces for research purposes.

3. How does the efficiency of a concentrator affect the temperature it can reach?

The efficiency of a concentrator is directly related to the temperature it can reach. A more efficient concentrator will be able to focus a larger amount of sunlight onto a smaller area, resulting in a higher intensity of heat and therefore, a higher temperature.

4. Can concentrating sunlight to create extreme temperatures be harmful?

Yes, concentrating sunlight to create extreme temperatures can be harmful if proper safety precautions are not taken. The intense heat can cause burns and ignite flammable materials. It is important to follow proper safety protocols when working with concentrated sunlight.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using concentrated sunlight to create extreme temperatures?

One potential disadvantage of concentrating sunlight to create extreme temperatures is its dependence on weather conditions. Cloudy or overcast days can significantly decrease the amount of sunlight available, making it difficult to reach extreme temperatures. Additionally, the initial cost of setting up a concentrator system can be expensive.