Concentrated pressure drop in tube having 90 round bend

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating concentrated pressure drop in two tubes with different bends. The equation for concentrated pressure drop is given, but the challenge is determining the specific coefficient, b. A suggested source for finding these values is the Crane Technical Paper No. 410. Details about the tube sizes, lengths, and flow rates are provided, and the conversation ends with a suggestion to practice hand calculation rather than relying on a computer.
alshourbagy
Hi
i want to calculate the concentrated pressure drop in a tube having 90 round bend and other one having 180 round bend.
The equation that i know is:
dP (concentrated) = 1/2 * b*r*v^2
where:
b=specific coefficient for concentrated pressure drop
r = liquid density (kg/m³)
v = average speed of the fluid inside the tube (m/s)

My problem is how to determine b?

thanks
Moh

Engineering news on Phys.org
One of the best sources of these factors is the Crane Technical Paper No. 410. If you don't have access to this book, let me know your line size and flow rate I can give you some approximate values.

many thanks for your kind help...unfortunately I have no access.
here is the info...
1st line:
water mass flow rate= 1 l/m
tube Length=36m
internal diameter= 12mm
external diameter= 15mm

2nd line is the same except for the length that is 41m.
The tube will be bending like in the image attached.

Attachments

• tube bending.bmp
    91.1 KB · Views: 657
My Crane TP 410 book is at work, but start with this link

http://www.pressure-drop.com/

Run a few cases. Then make sure you can do this by hand calculation and not depend on the computer !

Thanks alot...i will do it

Related to Concentrated pressure drop in tube having 90 round bend

1. What is a concentrated pressure drop in a tube with a 90 round bend?

A concentrated pressure drop in a tube with a 90 round bend refers to the decrease in pressure that occurs at a specific location within the tube where there is a sharp change in direction, or a 90 degree bend. This can be caused by factors such as flow separation, turbulence, and friction.

2. How is the concentrated pressure drop calculated?

The concentrated pressure drop can be calculated using various equations and models, depending on the fluid properties, flow rate, and geometry of the tube. Some common methods include the Bernoulli equation, the Darcy-Weisbach equation, and the Colebrook-White equation.

3. What factors can affect the magnitude of the concentrated pressure drop?

The magnitude of the concentrated pressure drop can be affected by several factors, including the fluid viscosity, flow rate, tube diameter, and the sharpness of the bend. Additionally, any irregularities or roughness in the inner surface of the tube can also contribute to a higher pressure drop.

4. What are some potential consequences of a high concentrated pressure drop?

A high concentrated pressure drop can lead to reduced efficiency and performance in the system, as well as increased energy consumption. It can also cause damage to the tube and other components, and may result in flow instability and noise.

5. How can the effects of concentrated pressure drop be minimized?

To minimize the effects of concentrated pressure drop, it is important to design the tube and its bends with smooth and gradual transitions. Additionally, using larger diameter tubes and reducing the flow velocity can also help to decrease the pressure drop. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the system can also prevent the buildup of debris and roughness on the inner surface of the tube.