Concave Mirror Homework - Find Object Dist.

In summary, a concave mirror with a focal length of 20cm forms an image that is three times the height of the object. Using the equations 1/u + 1/v = 1/f and m = v/u, the distance of the object from the mirror can be found if the image is either real or virtual. The magnification, represented by m, is equal to the ratio of v and u. By solving for u and v using the given information and equations, the distance of the object from the mirror can be determined.
Boxter

Homework Statement

A concave mirror of focal length 20cm forms an image which is three times the height of the object. Find the distance of the object from the mirror if: 1: The image is real
2: The image is virtual

Homework Equations

1/u + 1/v = 1/f
m = v/u

The Attempt at a Solution

f = 20cm
u = ?
v = ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

The magnification tells you the ratio v/u, though it could be either positive or negative.

Redbelly98 said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.

The magnification tells you the ratio v/u, though it could be either positive or negative.

Sorry, but I still don't understand :confused:

Okay, think about it this way: based on the given information, we can say that
v = ____ × u
where you must fill in the blank with a number.

Is the object <answer deleted by moderator> away?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the answers on the back of the book but can't figure out how to get it

And I will try one more hint. You wrote this equation earlier:
Boxter said:
m = v/u
What is the value of the magnification m, based on the information given in the problem statement?

Redbelly98 said:
And I will try one more hint. You wrote this equation earlier:

What is the value of the magnification m, based on the information given in the problem statement?

Magnification is 3 ??

If I divide 3 into 20 I get 6.666667. If I add 6.6667 to 20, is that how I get the real height, then take 6.66667 from 20 to get virtual height?

Boxter said:
If I divide 3 into 20 I get 6.666667. If I add 6.6667 to 20, is that how I get the real height, then take 6.66667 from 20 to get virtual height?
Uh, I don't think so. You get the answer by working with the two equations you wrote earlier.
Boxter said:
Magnification is 3 ??
Yes, good. So your two equations your wrote in Post #1 become:

1/u + 1/v = 1/f
___ = v/u​

(Fill in the blank to get the complete equation.)

Related to Concave Mirror Homework - Find Object Dist.

What is a concave mirror?

A concave mirror is a curved mirror that is thicker at the edges and thinner in the middle. It is also known as a converging mirror because it reflects light rays towards a focal point.

How do I find the object distance in concave mirror homework?

To find the object distance in concave mirror homework, you can use the formula: 1/f = 1/o + 1/i, where f is the focal length, o is the object distance, and i is the image distance. You can also use a ray diagram to visually determine the object distance.

What is the relationship between object distance and image distance in a concave mirror?

In a concave mirror, the object distance and image distance are inversely proportional. This means that as the object distance increases, the image distance decreases and vice versa.

What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image in a concave mirror?

A real image is formed when the reflected light rays actually converge at a point. It can be projected onto a screen and is always inverted. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when the reflected light rays only appear to converge at a point. It cannot be projected onto a screen and can be either upright or inverted.

How do I determine the magnification in concave mirror homework?

The magnification in concave mirror homework can be determined using the formula: M = -i/o, where M is the magnification, i is the image distance, and o is the object distance. A positive magnification indicates an upright image, while a negative magnification indicates an inverted image.