What science periodicals do you recommend?

• Thread starter deltabourne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: Non-MembersJoin AAAS and Subscribe Join the world's largest multi-disciplinary scientific society and get 51 weekly issues of print Science, plus online access to full-text Science, Sciencexpress, ScienceNOW daily news service, Science's Next Wave, and many other resources through the AAAS members-only website. Professional member dues in the USA are $130.00. Discounts are available for students, postdocs, K-12 teachers and emeritus members. International rates are higher due to postage. Your membership supports science education, public understanding of science, scientific freedom and responsibility, and international scientific cooperation. Check out our membership categories and other member benefits. Further down the subscription process it says
deltabourne
I don't know of any science magazines I could subscribe to (either online or in paper format) and keep up to date with the latest physics news. The only thing I can remotely think of is Scientific American, and that seems a little too commercialized/geared toward the public for my taste. I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is also Discovery (?) magazine, but that is all I can think of right now.

Guessing that you are from the US, I'd walk into a borders store and see what they have in their collection and if you like any of them.

The is the NewScientist for instance www.newscientist.com
or ScienceNews www.sciencenews.org
AmericanScientist www.americanscientist.org
the ScientificAmerican as you mentioned or DiscoveryMagazine..

Try "Physics Today" from the APS. Spendy, though.

The Journal "Science" from the AAAS, 52 times a year, enough to keep anyone busy, subscription, or University Library...
(I've only found it once in a "regular library")

Ok.. this can't be right.. $75 for 51 weekly Science issues? Is it really that cheap? I always thought it must be $200 or something :P

Then why do they charge $10 for a single article? ..

Originally posted by Monique
Ok.. this can't be right.. $75 for 51 weekly Science issues? Is it really that cheap? I always thought it must be $200 or something :P

Then why do they charge $10 for a single article? ..
Don't know where you got that price ($75.00) but it's a lot less then what I paid for a subscription years ago, but I had to change it into US$, OOHHH that costs...think it was about $225 - $250 Canadian (years back)...but it will keep you busy, and it is multidisciplinary...everything is covered. (or near enough)

Non-Members
Join AAAS and Subscribe
Join the world's largest multi-disciplinary scientific society and get 51 weekly issues of print Science, plus online access to full-text Science, Sciencexpress, ScienceNOW daily news service, Science's Next Wave, and many other resources through the AAAS members-only website. Professional member dues in the USA are $130.00. Discounts are available for students, postdocs, K-12 teachers and emeritus members. International rates are higher due to postage. Your membership supports science education, public understanding of science, scientific freedom and responsibility, and international scientific cooperation. Check out our membership categories and other member benefits.
Further down the subscription process it says: Student $75 :)

Cool and just what price does it say for non-professionals or do they even sell to them, anymore? (as that is what I was/am)

Plus then I had to trade into US$, back then, if wasn't cheap, $100.00 Canadian would trade, at a bank, (costs more) for $60 to $65 US, so $160 US would have cost me over $200 Canadian...inexpensive, in comparision to the, then 'Stand' price of $6.00 US per issue

What are science periodicals?

Science periodicals are publications that focus on scientific research, discoveries, and developments in various fields of science. They often contain articles written by experts in the field, as well as research studies, data, and analysis.

Why is it important to read science periodicals?

Reading science periodicals allows individuals to stay updated on the latest scientific developments, research, and discoveries. It also helps to expand knowledge and understanding of various scientific fields and their impact on society.

What factors should be considered when choosing a science periodical?

When choosing a science periodical, it is important to consider the credibility and reputation of the publication, the quality of the articles and research studies published, the relevance to your field of interest, and the target audience of the periodical.

What are some popular science periodicals?

Some popular science periodicals include Nature, Science, Scientific American, New Scientist, and National Geographic. However, there are many other reputable and informative science periodicals available.

How can I access science periodicals?

Science periodicals can be accessed through various means, such as print copies available in libraries, online subscriptions, or through academic databases. Some periodicals also offer free online access to certain articles or issues.