Computing the order of n-folded automorphisms

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computing
In summary: Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_4##. This group has 8 elements, as you have found empirically.However, extending this to the first 500 groups would require a significant amount of work and is not feasible. It is also worth noting that the abelian case of ##\operatorname{aut}\mathbb{Z}_n^*## is quite rare and it is unlikely that the group will be abelian in the first 500 cases.Overall, there is no known formula for computing the order of ##\operatorname{aut}^2 \mathbb{Z}_n^*## in general. Each case must be analyzed separately, which can be a challenging task
jackmell
I'd like to find ##\operatorname{aut}^2 \mathbb{Z}_n^*## and would first like to just compute it's order. However, I'm pretty sure in general ##\operatorname{aut}\mathbb{Z}_n^*## is non-abelian so can't apply or extend the formula for computing ##\big|\operatorname{aut}\mathbb{Z}_n^*\big|## to the twice-folded case.

Is there a formula for computing ##\big|\operatorname{aut}^2 \mathbb{Z}_n^*\big|##?

For example, empirically I find ##\big|\operatorname{aut}^2\mathbb{Z}_{15}^*\big|=8##. I was wondering if someone could help me prove this algebraically and then perhaps help me extend it to the first 500 groups? I should point out if ##\operatorname{aut}\mathbb{Z}_{15}^*## was abelian, then it would be isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z}_{2}\times \mathbb{Z}_{2^2}## and then show it's order is 8 but I don't think ##\operatorname{aut}\mathbb{Z}_{15}^*## is abelian.

Ok thanks for reading,
Jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Jack,

Your question is quite interesting and the answer is not simple. In general, there is no known formula for computing the order of ##\operatorname{aut}^2 \mathbb{Z}_n^*##. However, there are some specific cases where it is possible to find the order.

Firstly, let's define ##\operatorname{aut}^2 \mathbb{Z}_n^*##. This is the set of automorphisms of the group ##\mathbb{Z}_n^*## composed with itself. In other words, it consists of all possible mappings from ##\mathbb{Z}_n^*## to itself, where the composition of two mappings is also a mapping from ##\mathbb{Z}_n^*## to itself.

Now, let's consider the case of ##\mathbb{Z}_n^*## being cyclic. In this case, ##\operatorname{aut} \mathbb{Z}_n^*## is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z}_n^*## itself, and therefore ##\operatorname{aut}^2 \mathbb{Z}_n^*## is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z}_n^* \times \mathbb{Z}_n^*##. The order of this group is ##\varphi(n)^2##, where ##\varphi(n)## is the Euler totient function.

However, in the case where ##\mathbb{Z}_n^*## is not cyclic, finding the order of ##\operatorname{aut}^2 \mathbb{Z}_n^*## becomes much more challenging. In general, it is necessary to analyze the structure of the group and find all possible automorphisms to determine the order. This is a difficult task and there is no known formula for it.

In your example of ##\mathbb{Z}_{15}^*##, it is possible to show that ##\operatorname{aut} \mathbb{Z}_{15}^*## is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_4## and therefore ##\operatorname{aut}^2 \mathbb{Z}_{15}^*## is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_4 \

Related to Computing the order of n-folded automorphisms

What is the concept of n-folded automorphisms?

N-folded automorphisms refer to a type of mathematical function that maps a mathematical object onto itself n times, resulting in an n-fold symmetry. This means that the object can be rotated, reflected, or transformed in some way n times and still maintain its original shape.

Why is computing the order of n-folded automorphisms important?

Computing the order of n-folded automorphisms is important because it allows us to understand the symmetry and structure of mathematical objects. It also helps in solving problems related to symmetry, such as in crystallography, group theory, and other areas of mathematics.

How do you compute the order of n-folded automorphisms?

The order of n-folded automorphisms can be computed by finding the smallest number n that satisfies the condition that applying the function n times results in the original object. This can be done by systematically applying the function to the object until it is transformed back to its original form.

What is the difference between n-folded automorphisms and other types of automorphisms?

The main difference between n-folded automorphisms and other types of automorphisms is the number of times the function is applied to the object. N-folded automorphisms involve applying the function n times, while other types of automorphisms may involve a different number of applications or a different type of transformation.

What are some real-life applications of n-folded automorphisms?

N-folded automorphisms have many real-life applications, including in crystallography, chemistry, physics, and computer science. They are used to study and understand symmetrical structures and patterns in nature, as well as in the development of algorithms for data compression and encryption.