Computing Spatial Distance in General Relativity

• Thread starter eok20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, in general relativity, it is possible to define the distance to an object such as a spaceship by dividing up space and time and sending out geodesics that are orthogonal to the observer's world line. However, this method can only be used if the observer is an inertial observer and if the distribution determined by the vector fields can be integrated.
eok20
I am wondering if, in general relativity, there is a way to make sense of a statement such as, "the spaceship is 100km from me." In special relativity, we could define this (as long as I am an inertial observer) by choosing global coordinates (t,x1,x2,x3) corresponding to my notions of time and space, and then restricting the metric to the hypersurface t = 0. Then I have a Riemannian metric which will give me the distance to any point with t = 0.

Now, in general relativity I am represented by a curve [tex]\gamma[/tex] in the spacetime (M,g). At every point [tex]\gamma(t)[/tex], I can find a coordinate neighborhood and vector fields (not arising from coordinates in general) [tex]T, X_1,X_2,X_3[/tex] defined in this neighborhood that are orthonormal with respect to g. Then I would somehow want to integrate the distribution determined by [tex]X_1,X_2,X_3[/tex], giving a submanifold to which the pullback of g is definite. Then I would have a Riemanian metric and I can define the distance to anything that is in this submanifold. The problem with this is that I can only define the distance to something in this submanifold, and that is even only if I can integrate the distribution.

Is this the right way to think about this? I feel like I may be missing something obvious...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
To get a distance, you need to divide up space and time. For some observer, the logical way to do this is to send out geodesics that are orthogonal to the observer's world line at a given time. Assuming one of these geodesics intersects the spaceship's world line, then its distance to the observer is simply the length of the geodesic.

I think this is basically what you said.

Related to Computing Spatial Distance in General Relativity

1. How is spatial distance defined in general relativity?

In general relativity, spatial distance is defined as the distance between two points in space, measured using a ruler at rest in that frame of reference.

2. Can the spatial distance between two points change in general relativity?

Yes, the spatial distance between two points can change in general relativity due to the effects of gravity. The curvature of spacetime can cause distances to be shorter or longer, depending on the mass and energy present in the surrounding space.

3. How is spatial distance different from proper distance in general relativity?

Spatial distance is the distance between two points in a specific frame of reference, while proper distance is the distance between two points measured along a specific path through spacetime. Proper distance takes into account the effect of gravity on the path of an object, while spatial distance does not.

4. How is spatial distance calculated in general relativity?

In general relativity, spatial distance is calculated using the metric tensor, which describes the curvature of spacetime. This tensor contains information about the distances between points in a given frame of reference.

5. Can spatial distance be measured directly in general relativity?

No, spatial distance cannot be measured directly in general relativity. It can only be calculated by using the metric tensor and other mathematical tools, as it is a concept that exists within the framework of the theory.