Computing parabolic orbital trajectory

In summary, the conversation discusses how to compute the orbit for a rocket orbiting a planet in a game. The solution involves computing the eccentricity vector, eccentricity, major and minor axis of the orbit, and using a quadratic bezier to draw the parabolic path. When the eccentricity is exactly 1, the parameters for the parabolic path can be found by solving it geometrically. One solution involves finding the location of the directrix by moving away from the rocket in the direction of the eccentricity vector. Another solution involves using the rocket's velocity vector and symmetry to find the control points for drawing the parabola.
BryceCo
I wrote a game with a rocket that orbits a planet, and you can change the orbit with thrusters. As part of it I draw the predicted orbit for the rocket. To do this I compute the eccentricity vector, then the eccentricity e, then the major and minor axis of the ellipse or hyperbola as appropriate. With these values computing the equation of the orbit's elliptical or hyperbolic path is straightforward. This all works great in my app. However it's entirely unclear to me how to compute the parabolic path when e=1. I know its the limit of the elliptical orbit as e approaches 1, but I don't know how to compute the parameters when e=1 exactly. Specifically, how do I compute the distance from the focus to the vertex of the parabola?

Physics news on Phys.org
It turns out this can be solved geometrically.

Solution 1: The eccentricity vector points at the periapsis, so the directrix of the parabola is perpendicular to the eccentricity vector. Since the distance from the planet to the rocket is equal to the distance from the rocket to the directrix (by definition) you can find the location of the directrix by moving away from the rocket in the direction of the eccentricity vector for a distance equal to the orbital distance.

Solution 2: The goal is to draw the parabola, and I'm using a quadratic bezier to draw it which requires 3 control points. One of the control points is the rocket itself. The opposite control point is the mirror position on the opposite side of the parabola. The central control point is the intersection of the lines tangent to the parabola at the two opposoite control points. The tangents are defined exactly by the rocket's velocity vector, and by symmetry the intersection is also the intersection with the eccentricity vector, so that gives us the middle control point without knowing the opposite point. I can then compute the opposite control point easily.

Related to Computing parabolic orbital trajectory

1. What is a parabolic orbital trajectory?

A parabolic orbital trajectory is a type of orbit in which the object follows a path that is shaped like a parabola. This type of trajectory is often used in space missions where the object needs to travel a great distance but does not have enough energy to escape the gravitational pull of another object, such as a planet.

2. How is a parabolic orbital trajectory calculated?

To calculate a parabolic orbital trajectory, scientists use mathematical equations based on Newton's laws of motion and the principles of gravity. The calculations take into account the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the gravitational pull of other objects in the vicinity.

3. What are the applications of computing parabolic orbital trajectories?

Computing parabolic orbital trajectories is crucial in space exploration and satellite missions. By accurately calculating the trajectory, scientists can ensure that the object will reach its intended destination and avoid any potential collisions with other objects in space.

4. Are there any challenges in computing parabolic orbital trajectories?

Yes, there are several challenges in computing parabolic orbital trajectories. These include uncertainties in the measurements of mass and velocity, as well as the influence of other objects and forces in the surrounding environment. Additionally, the trajectory may be affected by external factors such as solar radiation and atmospheric drag.

5. Can a parabolic orbital trajectory be changed?

Yes, a parabolic orbital trajectory can be changed by altering the mass or velocity of the object, or by using a gravitational slingshot maneuver with another object. However, these changes must be carefully calculated to avoid any potential collisions or deviations from the intended trajectory.