Having trouble wit this problem

• Thread starter licia589
  • Start date
In summary, the speed of light in a vacuum, which is about 3.00*10^8 m/s, can be used to determine the distance traveled by a pulse from a laser beam in exactly nine hours. Converting the hours to seconds and plugging them into the formula distance = velocity * time, the answer is 9.72*10^9 km. It is important to note that the formula d=v/t is incorrect and should be d=v*t to account for the units of measurement.
licia589
please help me!

use the fact that the speed of light in a vacuum is about 3.00*10^8 m/s to determine how many kilemeters a pulse from a laser beam travels in exactly nine hours. answer in units of km

thanks please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Distance = velocity * time

Convert the hours to seconds and then plug those values into this formula. Your will get an answer in meters. Convert that to Km.

ok...

ok i solved the problem and i got 9.72 * 10^9 but it turned out to be wrong i converted the hours to seconds and got 32400 and i multiplied it by 3.00*8 and got 9.72810^9 which was converted also to km... and the problem is wrong

when i was taught i was taught distance=velocity/time

There are 32400 seconds in 9 hours. 34200s * 3*10^8m/s = 9.72*10^12 m or 9.72*10^9 Km.

Whoever taught you that d=V/t taught you wrong. Look at the units. The units on one side of the equation have to equal the units on the other side of the equation just like the quantities.

Distance is in meters
Time is in seconds
Velocity is in meters/second

[tex] Meters(D) = \frac{meters(V) \cdot seconds(t)}{seconds(V)} [/tex]

The seconds cancel out leaving just meters on both sides of the equation.

d=v/t is absurd. Acceleration is v/t. m/s^2

1. Why am I having trouble with this problem?

There could be several reasons why you are having trouble with a problem. It could be because you lack the necessary background knowledge or skills, the problem is particularly challenging, or you are struggling with understanding the question or instructions. It is important to identify the specific reason in order to find a solution.

2. What can I do to improve my problem-solving skills?

There are several ways to improve problem-solving skills. One approach is to practice regularly and challenge yourself with increasingly difficult problems. Additionally, seeking help from a mentor or tutor, breaking down problems into smaller, manageable parts, and utilizing different problem-solving strategies can also be helpful.

3. How can I stay motivated when facing a difficult problem?

Staying motivated when facing a difficult problem can be challenging, but it is important to remember that facing challenges is a key part of learning and growth. Setting specific goals, taking breaks when needed, and seeking support from peers and mentors can help you stay motivated and focused on finding a solution.

4. What should I do if I can't solve a problem?

If you are struggling to solve a problem, it is important to not get discouraged and give up. Instead, take a step back and try to identify the specific issue or concept that is causing difficulty. Seek help from a teacher or colleague, and consider approaching the problem from a different angle or using a different strategy.

5. How can I prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future?

To prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future, it is important to regularly practice problem-solving and continuously challenge yourself with new and challenging problems. Also, take the time to reflect on your problem-solving process and identify areas for improvement. Seeking help and collaborating with others can also help prevent getting stuck on a problem.