Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering vs. Software Engineering

In summary, the speaker is applying to universities and has narrowed their choices down to five, with a focus on engineering. They are deciding between computer engineering and software engineering, but have noticed that some universities only offer computer science and computer engineering. They have found that Queens University only offers computer engineering in the engineering department and computer science in the computer science department, while Waterloo University offers both programs as well as software engineering. The software engineering program at Waterloo is jointly offered by the faculties of Engineering and Mathematics, and combines strengths in computer science and computer engineering. The speaker is interested in software engineering at Waterloo but is unsure about other schools. They are more interested in learning about software than electrical circuits and chemistry and have heard that computer science is more theoretical
Esoremada
I'm applying to universities (the deadline is the 16th) and I've decided on engineering, and narrowed my choices down to 5 universities. I'm deciding between computer engineering and software engineering, but I notice that some universities only have computer science and computer engineering, but no official engineering course aimed more towards software than hardware.

Queens university for example only offers computer engineering in the engineering department and computer science in the computer science department.

Waterloo university offers both of those programs as well as software engineering.

https://uwaterloo.ca/engineering/future-undergraduate-students/undergraduate-programs-options/software-engineering

"Waterloo’s software engineering program is jointly offered by the faculties of Engineering and Mathematics, so our students benefit from the University's combined strengths in Computer Science and Computer Engineering."

So I know for sure I'm interested in software engineering at Waterloo, but at other schools I'm not sure whether I want to apply to computer engineering or computer science. I want to learn more about software than electrical circuits and chemistry, but I've heard computer science is purely programming and very theoretical.

Physics news on Phys.org
To give you an idea, at my school Computer Engineering is sort of halfway between software engineering and electrical engineering. You would do a fair bit of programming, but there would be a major focus on hardware as well. (e.g. digital circuit design)

From what I've heard at my school, you're right about computer science. In a lot of ways it's more closely related to the math department than the engineering department.

Related to Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering vs. Software Engineering

1. What is the difference between computer science, computer engineering, and software engineering?

Computer science is the study of algorithms, computation, and computer systems. It focuses on the theory and fundamentals of computing and teaches students how to design and develop software programs. Computer engineering is a combination of electrical engineering and computer science and involves the design and development of computer hardware and software. Software engineering is the application of computer science and engineering principles to the development, maintenance, and testing of software systems.

2. Which field should I choose if I want to work with software development?

If you want to work with software development, you can choose either computer science, computer engineering, or software engineering. However, software engineering would be the most suitable field as it specifically focuses on the development and maintenance of software systems.

3. Can someone with a computer science degree work as a computer engineer or software engineer?

Yes, someone with a computer science degree can work as a computer engineer or software engineer. However, they may need to gain additional knowledge and skills in their respective fields through further education or practical experience.

4. What are the job prospects for each of these fields?

The job prospects for computer science, computer engineering, and software engineering are all very promising. With the continuous growth of technology, there is a high demand for professionals in these fields. Some common job titles in these fields include software developer, computer systems analyst, network engineer, and data scientist.

5. Is one of these fields more difficult to study than the others?

The difficulty level of these fields may vary for each individual. Generally, computer science is considered to be more theoretical and abstract, while computer engineering and software engineering involve more hands-on and practical work. It ultimately depends on the individual's strengths and interests.