Computer Science or Software Engineering?

In summary, if you are interested in software engineering, it is probably a good idea to also study computer science. However, if you are more interested in the space or defense industry, you may want to consider studying software engineering, but also consider computer science for its more reputable reputation.
cgoetz86
Im looking to do a masters program. I am sort of torn between computer science and software engineering. I am interested in software engineering but I am wondering if computer science would be more reputable and give me more job options. I am looking to get a job in either the space or defense industry. Could someone please help.

Technology news on Phys.org
Hey cgoetz86.

As an aside, have you found out about getting clearance for your work?

Can you also find projects where defence sponsors your work (if it includes a thesis component)?

No I haven't found out about a security clearance. I am actually just researching the field right now. I don't have any formal training in computer programmer, however I already found out from the head of the department at the school I am planning to attend that won't be a problem. I just have to four or five pre requisite courses.

In Computer Science you will study the theory of computation, algorithms, data structures, complexity, and quite a bit of maths. Software Engineering is more focused on program design and architecture. You will learn programming if you take either course, but neither of them focus on it particularly. You will also touch on some SE in your CS course, and vice versa. In my experience, you are given enough background in a couple of programming languages that you can continue to learn on your own, and your formal studies then focus on theory.

I just finished a CS undergrad, and most of programming time was spent with C doing fairly low-level things. We programmed a lot of algorithms: searches, sorts, some system programs, database joins, combinatorial stuff, and lots of graphs and trees and hashtables and various other data structures.

In terms of purely instructional programming courses, learning the syntax, making a few toy programs I took 2 Java courses and 1 C course. The rest of the programming was taught in the context of another subject, for example we learned an assembly language for my computer organization course. Most of my C was learned in algorithms and database theory courses. I picked up more advanced HTML, PHP and JavaScript in a web programming course, and I learned an interesting AI language called JACK that compiles down to Java bytecode in my final year.

I took 2 SE courses and we learned UML, various architectures and design patterns and some software packages like more advanced IDEs, version control and project management applications.

Then I had 2 maths courses and a couple of programming electives and a major, which in my case was 4 more maths courses.

The Software Engineering students took 2 or 3 more advanced SE courses and instead of the maths, low level CS stuff, database and AI courses they have a 1 year industry placement where they work as an intern, which is obviously useful and something I feel the lack of now that I'm applying for jobs - although, I do enjoy all the CS stuff I learned and I'm sure I'll find a job soon enough.

For a job in Space or Defense, I think CS and maths is probably a better background to have, but you still learn some or even most of that stuff with a SE degree, depending on the university you attend as these courses vary a bit from one to another.

I've rambled, sorry for the wall of text!

Both computer science and software engineering are highly reputable fields with a wide range of job opportunities, including in the space and defense industries. Ultimately, the decision between the two will depend on your specific interests and career goals.

Computer science focuses on the theoretical foundations of computing, including algorithms, programming languages, and data structures. It also covers topics such as artificial intelligence, computer graphics, and human-computer interaction. This field is more research-oriented and is ideal for those interested in developing new technologies and pushing the boundaries of computer science.

On the other hand, software engineering is more practical and focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of software systems. It covers topics such as software design, testing, and project management. This field is ideal for those interested in building and improving existing software systems.

Both fields have their own unique set of skills and knowledge that are highly valued in the job market. However, if you are specifically interested in working in the space or defense industry, it may be beneficial to research the job requirements and preferred qualifications for positions in those industries to determine which field may be a better fit for you.

Ultimately, it is important to choose a field that aligns with your interests and career goals, as this will allow you to excel and thrive in your chosen profession. It may also be helpful to speak with professionals in both fields and gather more information to make an informed decision. Good luck in your studies!

Related to Computer Science or Software Engineering?

1. What is the difference between computer science and software engineering?

Computer science is a broad field that encompasses the study of computers and computational systems, including algorithms, programming languages, and hardware design. Software engineering is a specific branch of computer science that focuses on the development and maintenance of software systems. While both fields involve the use of computers, computer science is more theoretical and focuses on understanding how computers work, while software engineering is more practical and focuses on creating usable software products.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in computer science or software engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in computer science or software engineering include strong problem-solving abilities, proficiency in programming languages, ability to work with data and algorithms, and a strong understanding of computer systems and networks. Other important skills include communication, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team.

3. What can I do with a degree in computer science or software engineering?

A degree in computer science or software engineering can lead to a variety of career paths, such as software developer, systems analyst, data scientist, computer programmer, or network engineer. These fields are constantly evolving, so there are always new opportunities emerging for individuals with these skills.

4. Is computer science or software engineering a good field for job growth?

Yes, both computer science and software engineering are expected to have strong job growth in the coming years. With the increasing demand for technology in all industries, there will be a high demand for professionals with skills in these fields. Additionally, with the constant advancements in technology, there will be a need for individuals to update and maintain existing systems.

5. Do you need a specific degree to work in computer science or software engineering?

While a degree in computer science or software engineering is typically required for entry-level positions in these fields, it is not always necessary. Some individuals may have a degree in a related field, such as mathematics or information technology, and gain the necessary skills through on-the-job experience or self-teaching. However, a degree can provide a strong foundation and can also be beneficial for career advancement opportunities.