Computer science if you love math

In summary, the conversation is about whether to pursue a master's degree in computer science or engineering, with the person expressing a love for math and concern about using those skills in their career. Suggestions are given for fields that combine math and computer science, such as software engineering and operations research. The person also asks if it is possible to work in these fields with a master's in electrical engineering and some courses in computer science, to which it is stated that it is doable with specific courses and personal interest.
louisnach
Hello everyone,

I am currently hesitating, should i do a master in computer science or engineering? (i have currently a bachelor in elec eng which was very hard to pass because of the physics) I like computer science and like programming but i love math a lot too and even more than comp science, should i do computer science or engineering ?
I am afraid to not really use my math skills later after studies, is there jobs in comp sc with high math and abstract skills required which are in demand?
(i cannot do comp eng because i am in europe where it doesn't exist as a master, and sorry for my english mistakes btw)

Physics news on Phys.org
Software engineering and scientific programming both require the use of math - example: proof of correctness of your algorithm is required in many software shops. I do not know what the 'software engineering' discipline is called in Europe. We have software engineers who are frequent posters here a PF, maybe one of them could help.

But any computing field that requires some mathematical rigor sounds like what you want to check out.

Likes QuantumQuest
I found the field of Operations Research to have a good mixture of math and computer science. In the US, it is often within the Industrial Engineering department. You might want to take a look at it.

Likes QuantumQuest
Thanks for the anserwrs, and studying master electrical (i have to retake bachelor courses if i do comp sc master) with some courses in machine learning and signal processing and a bit security of networks, is it a good idea to work in that fields? I am afraid to miss the general comp sc background

louisnach said:
Thanks for the anserwrs, and studying master electrical (i have to retake bachelor courses if i do comp sc master) with some courses in machine learning and signal processing and a bit security of networks, is it a good idea to work in that fields? I am afraid to miss the general comp sc background
Those are excellent fields to be in. There will be a lot of interesting developments and opportunities in all three areas.

Is it ok to work in those fields with electrical engineering master and just some courses of this field? They ask me to catch up a lot of bachelor courses if i do master in computer science, but i am afraid to not have the needed general background of comp sc for this fields

Computer science is very diverse and a degree in it would have few special courses in these areas. With a EE degree, taking courses specifically for these areas, and your own interest in them, it is very doable.

Related to Computer science if you love math

1. How are math and computer science related?

Math and computer science are closely related because computer science uses mathematical concepts and principles to solve problems and create algorithms. Both fields involve logical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Do I need to be good at math to study computer science?

Having a strong foundation in math is beneficial for studying computer science, as it helps with understanding complex algorithms and coding. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn and excel in computer science regardless of their math skills.

3. What math topics are important for computer science?

Some of the key math topics that are important for computer science include algebra, discrete mathematics, calculus, and statistics. These topics help with understanding algorithms, data structures, and computational complexity.

4. How does studying computer science help with improving math skills?

Studying computer science can improve math skills by providing practical applications for mathematical concepts. It also helps with developing problem-solving skills and logical thinking, which are useful in both fields.

5. Are there careers that combine math and computer science?

Yes, there are many careers that combine math and computer science, such as data science, artificial intelligence, financial engineering, and cryptography. These fields require a strong understanding of both math and computer science principles.