Computer Science for Non-CS Graduates with a Science Degree

In summary, the conversation is about someone who recently graduated with a degree in physics and is now interested in studying computer science. They are looking for a CS program that caters to non-CS graduates with a science degree and is seeking recommendations for learning the basics of computer science and programming languages. A link is provided for a tutorial on computer science concepts and a suggestion is made to start with learning Java.
r_bap
Hi all,

I just recently graduated from college with a degree in physics. I'm not interested in pursuing a graduate degree in physics. I like computers and would like to study them, but I don't have much programming experience or any CS courses under my belt. I was wondering if anybody knew of a CS program that is specifically designed to teach non CS graduates with a science degree about computer science. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you just want to learn the basics of computer science, you can find quite a bit online.

Click this link:
http://www.cs.usask.ca/resources/tutorials/csconcepts/index.html

for a solid overview of computer science concepts. Also, teach yourself a programming language. I'd recommend Java for starters because it is very user friendly and easy to acquire free software for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Compuational science.

Related to Computer Science for Non-CS Graduates with a Science Degree

1. What is computer science?

Computer science is the study of computers and computational systems, including their principles, their hardware and software designs, their applications, and their impact on society.

2. Can someone with a science degree pursue a career in computer science?

Yes, someone with a science degree can definitely pursue a career in computer science. Many science graduates have the necessary skills, such as problem-solving and critical thinking, that are essential for success in computer science.

3. Do I need a background in programming to study computer science?

No, a background in programming is not necessary to study computer science. Many computer science programs offer introductory courses for students with no prior programming experience.

4. What are some potential career options for non-CS graduates in computer science?

Some potential career options for non-CS graduates in computer science include data analyst, software developer, information security analyst, and web developer. With a science background, you may also be well-suited for roles in fields such as bioinformatics or scientific computing.

5. How can I prepare for a career in computer science as a non-CS graduate?

There are a few steps you can take to prepare for a career in computer science as a non-CS graduate. You can take online courses or attend coding bootcamps to learn programming skills, network with professionals in the field, and gain experience through internships or personal projects. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with common programming languages and technologies used in the industry.