Computer Science Discrete Mathematics Proof problem

In summary: Therefore, by mathematical induction, P(n) is true for all integers n ≥ 1, and thus d_n_ = 2/n! for all integers n ≥ 1. This completes the proof. In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with a proof in Discrete Mathematics. The proof involves using mathematical induction to show that a sequence, defined by a given equation, is equal to a specific value for all integers n ≥ 1. The student provides their progress so far and asks for guidance on how to proceed. The expert provides a summary of the steps needed to complete the proof.
bona0002
Hey guys,

I'm taking Discrete Mathematics and am having a bit of trouble with one of my proofs. If any of you has any experience with that and could tell me where I'm going wrong, I'd appreciate it!

Ok, here it is:

Prove each statement in 8–23 by mathematical induction:

27. A sequence d1, d2, d3, . . . is defined by letting d1 = 2 and
dk = (d_(k−1)_)/k for all integers k ≥ 2. Show that for all integers
n ≥ 1, d_n_ = 2/n!

So here's what I got so far:

Proof: Let d_1_, d_2_, d_3_, ... be the sequence defined by specifying that d_1_ = 2 and d_k_ = (d_(k-1)_) / k for all integers k ≥ 2, and let the property P(n) be the equation:

d_n_ = 2 / n!

We will use mathematical induction to prove that for all integers n ≥ 1, P(n) is true.

Show that P(1) is true:

To establish P(1), we must show that d_1_ = 2 / 1!

But the left-hand side of d_1_ = 2 (by definition of d_1_, d_2, ...
and the right-hand side = 2 / 1! which is equal to 2/1 which is equal to 2.

Thus, the two sides of P(1) are equal, and hence P(1) is true.

Show that for all integers k ≥ 1, if P(k) is true then P(k+1) is also true.

Let k be any integer with k ≥ 1, and suppose P(k) is true. That is, suppose d_k_ = 2 / k!

We must show that P(k+1) is true. That is, we must show that d_(k+1)_ = 2 / (k+1)! which is equal to 2 / k! + 1! which is equal to 2 / k! + 1.

But the left-hand side of P(k+1) is d_(k+1)_ = d_k_ / (k+1) (By definition of sequence
which is, by the inductive step, equal to (2/k!) / ((k+1)/1) which is equal to 2/((k!)(k+1)).

Where do I go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!</code>To show that P(k+1) is true, you need to show that the left-hand side is equal to the right-hand side. You have the left-hand side, so all you need to do is rearrange the right-hand side to get: 2/(k!(k+1)) = 2/((k+1)!).You can do this by multiplying both sides by (k+1)! and then cancelling out k! on both sides. Thus,2/(k!(k+1)) = 2*(k+1)!/(k!(k+1)!) = 2/(k+1)!which shows that P(k+1) is true.

Related to Computer Science Discrete Mathematics Proof problem

1. What is discrete mathematics in computer science?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures and objects, such as integers, graphs, and logical statements. In computer science, it is used to analyze algorithms, data structures, and other computer science concepts.

2. What is a proof in discrete mathematics?

A proof in discrete mathematics is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth of a statement or theorem. It follows a set of rules and principles to show that a statement is true for all possible cases.

3. How is discrete mathematics used in computer science?

Discrete mathematics is used in computer science to solve problems and analyze algorithms. It provides tools and techniques for reasoning about discrete structures, which are often used in computer science concepts such as data structures, networks, and cryptography.

4. What are common proof techniques used in discrete mathematics?

Some common proof techniques used in discrete mathematics include direct proof, proof by contradiction, mathematical induction, and proof by cases. These techniques involve using logic, reasoning, and mathematical principles to demonstrate the truth of a statement or theorem.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in discrete mathematics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in discrete mathematics, you can practice solving various types of problems, familiarize yourself with common proof techniques, and work on developing your logical reasoning abilities. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced mathematicians or participating in study groups can also be helpful.