Computer Revolution: Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs' Legacy

In summary: I don't have to pay MS for support.In summary, Microsoft was a major player in the 80s computer revolution, but their success was due in part to the help of their father. Steve Jobs and Wozniak were the true revolutionaries, and their legacy is well documented.
DiracPool
Ok, maybe I was inspired by the commercial on the Oscars tonight with Steve Wozniak, so please forgive me. Before I wax an opinion here, I'll start by establishing my street cred. I got my first Vic20 in 1982. I wrote a video game and an article that COMPUTE! magazine paid me $175 dollars for. I don't know if they ever actually published the article, though. But I do have a copy of the check. I was 14.

Plus, in those days, to get an extra few kilobytes of memory you had to buy a "cartridge" for 30 bucks. Me and a friend actually breadboarded a memory unit of the same capacity for about 6 dollars, and consolidated it on a photoetched board we let sit in the sun on the roof of the apartment complex. I planned on making a business out of this but it didn't work out.

In any case, as a child of the 80's computer revolution, I just wanted to say that I don't think that Bill Gates and Paul Allen contributed anything significant to that revolution. They were just a couple of average Joes that were at the right place at the right time, and had the benefit that Bill's dad was a high powered lawyer.

Contrast this with the Steve Jobs and Wozniak story. Wozniak was a true polymath, I think it's arguable that he really set the mode of the revolution. Jobs' legacy is well documented. I personally use Windows based systems because they are cheaper and the community development is much stronger on that platform, but you could have taken any Jim, Joe or Harry and done what Microsoft did. I think those guys are secretly ashamed of the billions they've illegitimately made.

Computer science news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
secretly ashamed of the billions they've illegitimately made.
Uh-huh. Sackcloth and ashes all the way to the bank.

Likes CalcNerd and timthereaper
Bystander said:
Uh-huh. Sackcloth and ashes all the way to the bank.

Well, there's no law that says you can't enjoy your spoils and be secretly ashamed of them at the same time.

Rave on, Buddy, rave on!

You never explained what was 'illegitimate' about what Microsoft did. Sure, MS was the recipient of some big breaks along the way, but being lucky is not the same as being illegitimate.

MS was an early provider of software development tools which then backed into OS development when the IBM PC came along. At that time, one of their great rivals was Digital Research, which had a lock on the Intel 8080 and Zilog Z80 based micros with their CP/M OS. Digital Research had an opportunity to do a deal with IBM similar to what was offered to MS, but its CEO, for whatever reason, did not come to terms, and it wasn't because Gates' dad performed some Jedi mind-trick on him.

The current Windows GUI paradigm has its origins in work done at Xerox PARC in the mid 1970s. Other things which came out of this organization include laser printing, WYSIWYG editors, networking, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PARC_(company)

Steve Jobs took at least one tour of Xerox PARC, and a lot of his future ideas on the LISA, the Mac, and NeXT Computer are said to have been inspired by this visit.

SteamKing said:
You never explained what was 'illegitimate' about what Microsoft did

Ok, maybe "illegitimate" was too strong a word. Perhaps it was the fact that it was too legitimate that's unsettling. I don't fault Microsoft for their aggressive business tactics, business is business. I do fault the US Justice department, though, in floundering their anti-trust case. I can't believe how that action just fell down on it's face. It seemed patently obvious to me that Microsoft having a collar on DOS was anti-competitive. It still affects me today, I just recently had to shell out $107 for Windows 8.1, because they stopped supporting the XP operating system I've been milking for the last decade. Lol. The alternatives are not practically viable for most individual PC users as far as I can tell.

This may be one of those cases then where you simply need to "vote with you wallet." Yes it's inconvenient to leave the MS ecosystem, it's even worse if you try to leave the iOS ecosystem. But if you really dislike the status quo, then just bite the bullet and leave. If enough ppl do it, then things will change for the better.

That's what I did. I didn't like the direction MS was taking so I dropped them. There's plenty of alternatives and they all work good. Obviously, its not the same but with a bit of effort, it's more or less the same. Absolutely none of my work has been affected by switching from MS to Linux. The only thing that's worse is the gaming. Many don't work period, some need some fiddling in WINE, but a lot are supported under Linux.

Overall, it's been a positive experience and I'm glad I'm through with MS.

Whatever condemnations of Microsoft people may level--and I know there are many--Bill Gates caused them to do one special thing that no other company did, and that in large part is responsible for their survival over the decades. It's called "backward compatibility". I know a hardware store that still uses an MS-DOS program from the 1980's to match paint colors. Gates insisted, and MIcrosoft always did, attempt to keep backward compatibility for each new operating system release. This fact is highly underestimated when people look at history. It was key.

Likes Routaran

Related to Computer Revolution: Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs' Legacy

1. What is the significance of the computer revolution?

The computer revolution refers to the rapid development and widespread use of personal computers and other digital technologies that began in the 1970s. This revolution has fundamentally transformed the way we communicate, work, and live, and has had a major impact on various industries such as education, healthcare, and entertainment.

2. Who are Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs?

Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs were the co-founders of Apple Inc., one of the most successful and influential technology companies in the world. They were pioneers of the computer revolution, and are credited with designing and developing the first personal computer, the Apple II, which revolutionized the industry and paved the way for future innovations.

3. What was the legacy of Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs?

The legacy of Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs is their immense contribution to the computer revolution and their impact on the technology industry. Their vision and innovation not only revolutionized the way we use computers, but also influenced the development of other digital devices such as smartphones and tablets. They also inspired a generation of entrepreneurs and innovators, and their company, Apple Inc., continues to shape the technology landscape today.

4. How did the computer revolution change society?

The computer revolution had a profound impact on society by making information and communication more accessible and efficient. It revolutionized the way we work, communicate, shop, and entertain ourselves. It also created new job opportunities and industries, and has improved various aspects of our daily lives such as healthcare, education, and transportation.

5. What challenges did the computer revolution face?

The computer revolution faced several challenges, including limited resources and technology, as well as resistance from established companies in the industry. The development of personal computers also raised concerns about privacy and security, leading to the development of new laws and regulations. However, the determination and innovation of pioneers like Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs helped overcome these challenges and drive the computer revolution forward.

Back