Computer Program for Math Diagrams

In summary, the user is looking for a program to help them create professional-looking diagrams for their math notes to help high school students. They are specifically looking for a program that can draw diagrams for circle geometry, add arrows, dotted lines, shading, and other types of free-standing drawings found in precalc textbooks. Mathematica is recommended and is student-friendly, but may not be the best for drag-and-drop functions. Maple is also suggested, but the user is unsure if their university has it. Both programs have good documentation and tutorials available to learn how to use them.
qspeechc
Hi everyone.

So I'm typing up some notes for some high school kids I'm helping with their math (I'm not tutoring them for money, I'm helping them informally). I want to put diagrams in my notes, you know the usual stuff: graphs of the usual functions; explaining concepts in diagrams; geometry diagrams etc.

Do you know of any programs that can allow me to draw such diagrams, and gives professional-looking results? Publication-worthy diagrams? Any free programs? There's quite a lot of kids I could help, and I don't have the time to be there and draw diagrams for them and explain stuff etc., which is why I'm asking for programs that produce good graphics.
If I'm reeeeaaaally picky, can they be user-friendly too please?:smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mathematica is fantastic for this. If you are a student you can get it pretty cheap.

Cool, does it allow you to draw stuff like diagrams from circle geometry, adding arrows, dotted lines, shading, allow you to other types of free-standing drawings etc., as you would find in a precalc textbook?

Yep, all that.

It's not "user friendly" in the drag-and-drop sense though.

Thanks DavidSnider, btw do you happen to know if Maple has the same features? I'm not sure what my university has, I've never used Maple or Mathematica. Oh, and how do I learn to use these programs? Thanks again.

qspeechc said:
Thanks DavidSnider, btw do you happen to know if Maple has the same features? I'm not sure what my university has, I've never used Maple or Mathematica. Oh, and how do I learn to use these programs? Thanks again.

Maple does similar things. I haven't used it much so I can't say for sure.

Mathematica has really good documentation and tutorials on their site.

Thanks a lot. You've been very patient with me! :biggrin:

Related to Computer Program for Math Diagrams

1. What is a Computer Program for Math Diagrams?

A Computer Program for Math Diagrams is a software that allows users to create visual representations of mathematical concepts and equations. It typically includes tools for drawing shapes, lines, and labels, as well as features for adding mathematical symbols and equations.

2. How does a Computer Program for Math Diagrams work?

A Computer Program for Math Diagrams uses algorithms and coding to interpret user input and generate visual representations of mathematical concepts. It may also have built-in templates or libraries of pre-made diagrams for easier creation.

3. What are the benefits of using a Computer Program for Math Diagrams?

Using a Computer Program for Math Diagrams can help users better understand complex mathematical concepts by providing a visual representation. It can also save time and effort in creating diagrams manually, and allow for easy edits and revisions.

4. Is a Computer Program for Math Diagrams suitable for all levels of math?

Yes, there are many different Computer Programs for Math Diagrams that cater to different levels of math, from basic arithmetic to advanced calculus and beyond. Some programs may also have features specifically designed for students or professionals in certain fields of math.

5. Are there any free options for Computer Programs for Math Diagrams?

Yes, there are some free options for Computer Programs for Math Diagrams, such as online tools or open-source software. However, more comprehensive and advanced programs may require a purchase or subscription fee.