Computer going into hibernate mode by itself

In summary: This sounds like a software issue, I would try updating your software and see if that fixes the issue.Here are some troubleshooting tips:In summary, the computer is not overheating and shutting down because of that right? and your screen saver isn't kicking in causing your computations to stop?Can you provide more details on the computer? HW manufacturer? Operating system? computational software? versions of each?
Tosh5457
Hello,
There's a mystery in my laptop, that makes it hibernate after it's been on for awhile. I've turned off auto-hibernate/suspension in the power settings already, so this is really puzzling to me why this is happening. I want to leave the computer on during the night to do some long calculations, but every time I wake up it's hibernating and nothing was done... Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Can you provide more details on the computer? HW manufacturer? Operating system? computational software? versions of each?

So the computer isn't overheating and shutting down because of that right? and your screen saver isn't kicking in causing your computations to stop?

jedishrfu said:
Can you provide more details on the computer? HW manufacturer? Operating system? computational software? versions of each?

Sorry forgot mentioning it's a Toshiba running Windows 8.1 64-bits. As anti-virus I'm running Avira, and running Symantec Encryption Desktop for disk encryption. Others are standard programs.

If the power goes low it has no choice. Do you leave it plugged in and getting power?

Yes it's plugged in. I noticed it only happens if I turn off the internet connection, so I'm just leaving the internet connection on :) Still no idea what triggers it though.

Its worth checking to make sure it isn't overheating, you might be able to do this in setup (press del or F2 on startup) if it reports system health, or you should be able to find the system event logs which should tell you about going into hibernation. Go to your power management consul and alter the settings, you can disable hibernation.

Related to Computer going into hibernate mode by itself

1. Why does my computer keep going into hibernate mode by itself?

There are several potential reasons for this issue. It could be due to a power setting that is automatically putting your computer into hibernate after a certain period of inactivity. It could also be caused by a glitch in the operating system or a hardware issue.

2. How can I stop my computer from going into hibernate mode without my command?

First, check your power settings and make sure that hibernate mode is not set to automatically activate after a certain period of time. You can also try updating your operating system and drivers to see if that resolves the issue. If the problem persists, it may be a hardware issue and you may need to seek assistance from a technician.

3. Can a virus or malware cause my computer to go into hibernate mode by itself?

While it is unlikely, it is not impossible for a virus or malware to cause your computer to go into hibernate mode without your command. It is important to regularly run antivirus scans and keep your software up to date to prevent any potential security threats.

4. Is there a way to prevent my computer from going into hibernate mode while I am working?

Yes, you can change your power settings to prevent your computer from going into hibernate mode while you are working. You can also adjust the sleep timer so that your computer does not go into hibernate mode until a longer period of inactivity.

5. Can a failing battery cause my computer to go into hibernate mode by itself?

Yes, a failing battery can cause your computer to go into hibernate mode unexpectedly. If you notice that your battery life is significantly shorter than it used to be, it may be time to replace your battery. This can help prevent your computer from going into hibernate mode without your command.