Computer Engineerng & Quantum Computing

In summary, the theory of quantum computing is still in its early stages and research is being conducted mainly in physics departments, though there are also non-physicists working on it. There are some corporations, such as D-Wave, conducting research in the field. A solid understanding of classical computer architecture and computation is necessary for understanding quantum computing, but the specific knowledge needed depends on the area of research. To be effective in the field, one may need to take courses in quantum mechanics, partial differential equations, and higher level courses in computability and automata. Quantum computing is a fascinating and cutting-edge field to consider for graduate school.
Nick O
Context:

I am entering my Junior year in a computer engineering undergraduate program, and have not yet taken any course involving quantum physics. The only course I am required to take involving quantum physics is Semiconductor Device Physics. I am doing well academically, and am considering pursuing a Masters degree at some point in the future.

Questions:

1. How well developed is the theory of quantum computing at this time, and what sort of people are defining the field? That is, is it being headed chiefly by electrical or computer engineers, physicists, computer scientists, or something else?

2. Is this research exclusively done in academic and government settings, or are there some corporations that are currently conducting research in the field?

3. How well does a solid understanding of classical computer architecture and computation, boolean logic, and whatever else goes with a degree in Computer Engineering translate to the field of quantum computing?

4. Finally, what could I expect to need from outside my degree plan to be effective in the field if most of what I am currently studying is relevant? For example, I can expect to need a course on quantum mechanics and partial differential equations, and possibly some high level courses on computability and automata.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nick O said:
1. How well developed is the theory of quantum computing at this time, and what sort of people are defining the field? That is, is it being headed chiefly by electrical or computer engineers, physicists, computer scientists, or something else?

At this time, people are still arguing as to whether or not the few quantum computers in the world are actually quantum computers. The actual theory is infantile enough that the majority of research is done is physics departments. However, there are plenty of non-physicists working on it as well. Check out Shor's algorithm. Building a quantum computer is largely interdisciplinary.

It's not yet at the point that computer engineers are being hired in large scales to build quantum computers.

Nick O said:
2. Is this research exclusively done in academic and government settings, or are there some corporations that are currently conducting research in the field?
D-Wave is the most notable corporation doing research in quantum computing. They have sold "quantum computers" to NASA, Google, and the NSA, who are conducting their own research with the devices. An Australian aerospace company Aerospace Concepts has announced plans begin developing commercial quantum computer software packages.

Nick O said:
3. How well does a solid understanding of classical computer architecture and computation, boolean logic, and whatever else goes with a degree in Computer Engineering translate to the field of quantum computing?

I'd say it's going to start becoming important. A good understanding of logic gates and circuits is already a prerequisite for understanding quantum gates and things like that. It depends on what kind of department you're doing research in. University of Waterloo is probably the largest research institute right now for quantum computing, and you can specialize there being in residency in the math, physics, chemistry, or engineering departments.

Nick O said:
4. Finally, what could I expect to need from outside my degree plan to be effective in the field if most of what I am currently studying is relevant? For example, I can expect to need a course on quantum mechanics and partial differential equations, and possibly some high level courses on computability and automata.

Again, it depends. There are a lot of different aspects to quantum computing. Actually physically making the thing work is basically optics and condensed matter physics. On the other hand, the information side of things requires algorithms, theory of computing, linear algebra(very important), and even a little abstract algebra. The requisite knowledge depends on the area you are working in.

Likes 1 person
Fantastic answers, thanks!

QC is one of a few things that I want to consider if I enter graduate school. Of course, in the next couple of years I may find something less cutting-edge but just as fascinating, but it can't hurt to look into a few of my options now.

Nick O said:
QC is one of a few things that I want to consider if I enter graduate school.

For sure. It fascinates me quite a bit. I'm more interested in the information theory side, so I'm sorry I can't give you a whole lot of info on the actual engineering side of it. But physicists primarily invented the technology that modern computers use, and computer engineers play a large role in the industry. So I can only imagine at some point computer engineers and electrical engineers will be playing the same large role with these in the (hopefully) near future.

Likes 1 person

1. The theory of quantum computing is still in its early stages of development, but there have been significant advancements in recent years. The field is being led by a combination of physicists, computer scientists, and computer engineers. Each brings a unique perspective and expertise to the field, and collaboration between these disciplines is crucial for further progress.

2. Research in quantum computing is being conducted in both academic and government settings, as well as in some corporations. Companies such as Google, IBM, and Microsoft have invested in quantum computing research and are actively working to develop practical applications for this technology.

3. A solid understanding of classical computer architecture and computation is definitely beneficial in the field of quantum computing. Many of the concepts and principles from classical computing can be applied to quantum computing, but there are also significant differences that must be understood. A strong background in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and probability, is also important for understanding the principles of quantum computing.

4. In addition to the courses you mentioned, a strong background in quantum mechanics and information theory would also be beneficial for a career in quantum computing. It is also important to have a strong foundation in programming languages, as well as experience with simulation and modeling software. As with any field, staying updated on the latest advancements and developments is crucial for success.

Related to Computer Engineerng & Quantum Computing

1. What is computer engineering?

Computer engineering is a branch of engineering that combines principles of computer science and electrical engineering to design, develop, and maintain computer systems and their components. This includes hardware, software, networks, and other devices.

2. What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a new field of computing that uses the principles of quantum mechanics to process and store information. Unlike classical computers, which use bits to represent data as either 0 or 1, quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits) that can represent 0, 1, or both simultaneously. This allows quantum computers to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers.

3. How does quantum computing differ from classical computing?

Quantum computing differs from classical computing in several ways. One major difference is in the way they process information - classical computers use binary digits (bits), while quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits). Additionally, quantum computers can perform certain calculations much faster than classical computers, allowing them to solve complex problems that would take classical computers years to solve.

4. What are the potential applications of quantum computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to revolutionize many industries, including finance, healthcare, and cybersecurity. It could also lead to advancements in fields such as materials science and artificial intelligence. Some specific applications of quantum computing include drug discovery, optimization problems, and cryptography.

5. Is quantum computing accessible to everyone?

Currently, quantum computing is still in its early stages and is mainly being developed for research purposes. However, there are some companies that offer cloud-based access to quantum computers, making it more accessible to researchers and developers. As the technology advances, it is possible that quantum computers will become more widely available to the public in the future.