Computer Engineering vs Computer Systems Engineering

In summary, the individual is a sophomore currently attending a 4-year university and is planning on switching their major to engineering. They have verified with an advisor that they can switch without postponing their graduation. The university offers a bachelor's degree in Computer Systems Engineering and a master's degree in Computer Engineering. However, most job postings at companies like Intel, Microsoft, and Apple require a bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering. The individual has looked at other universities and found that they also offer a bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering. They are wondering if there is a difference between the two degrees and if they would still be eligible for the same jobs with a degree in Computer Systems Engineering. They also mention the possibility of pursuing a master's degree in Electrical
mharten1
Hi, I'm currently a sophomore at a 4 year university. I'm going to be switching my major to something in engineering. (I've talked to an advisor to verify that I can do this without postponing my graduation.

My school offers an undergraduate degree in Computer Systems Engineering and a masters degree in Computer Engineering. However, when I look at job postings at places like Intel, Microsoft, Apple, etc, they all require a bachelors in Computer Engineering. I have been looking at other University's websites, and most of them offer a Computer Engineering bachelors.

Is there a difference between these two? If I got a bachelors in Computer Systems Engineering, would I still be eligible for the jobs that require a Computer Engineering degree? I've yet to see one job that says anything about a Computer Systems Engineering degree. I can post the major classes that I am going to take if that would be helpful.

Finally, would it be plausible for me to get into an EE masters program, assuming that I have good grades? I could do EE for my bachelors, but that would delay my graduation, something that I'm not really willing to do.

Here are some of the major courses I have to take:

Computer Organization and Assembly Langauge Programming
Data Structures and Algorithms
Introduction to Software Engineering
Circuits I
Circuits II
Embedded Microprocessor Systems
Design and Synthesis of Digital Hardware
Operating Systems
Computer Networks
Systems Capstone Project I (L)
Systems Capstone Project II (L)
Computer Architecture I

These don't include the obvious physics, chem, calc, linear algebra, and diff eq. I also have to take 4 other upper division classes of my choosing. I can take Computer Architecture II, Mobile Computing, Network Security, to name a few.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I ALSO NEED HELP ON THIS ASAP. I REALLY don't understand the difference between Computer Engineering and Computer Systems Engineering.

Related to Computer Engineering vs Computer Systems Engineering

What is the difference between computer engineering and computer systems engineering?

Computer engineering is a broad field that focuses on the design, development, and integration of computer hardware and software. It combines principles from electrical engineering and computer science. Computer systems engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the overall design and management of complex computer systems, including hardware, software, networking, and security.

What are the main areas of study in computer engineering and computer systems engineering?

Computer engineering typically covers topics such as digital logic, computer architecture, programming, and operating systems. Computer systems engineering involves courses in systems design, hardware and software integration, networking, and project management.

Which field has a greater focus on hardware?

Both computer engineering and computer systems engineering have a strong focus on hardware, but computer engineering tends to have a greater emphasis on designing and developing physical computer components, such as processors, memory, and input/output devices. Computer systems engineering focuses more on designing and managing the integration of hardware components into a functional system.

What career opportunities are available in computer engineering and computer systems engineering?

Both fields offer a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as technology, telecommunications, aerospace, and defense. Graduates with a degree in computer engineering may work as computer hardware engineers, software developers, or systems architects. Graduates with a degree in computer systems engineering may work as systems analysts, network engineers, or project managers.

Is one field better than the other?

Both computer engineering and computer systems engineering are valuable and in-demand fields with different areas of focus. The choice between the two ultimately depends on an individual's interests and career goals. It is important to research both fields and their respective job opportunities to determine which is the best fit.