Computer Engineering Major. What should I minor?

In summary, computer engineering is a combination of electrical engineering and computer science, focusing on hardware and software aspects. The job market for computer engineering majors is strong and expected to remain so in the future. A specific minor is not necessary, but can be beneficial. Important skills for a computer engineering major include problem-solving, analytical thinking, attention to detail, and programming proficiency. It is possible to switch to a computer engineering major, but may require additional coursework and planning with an academic advisor.
tahayassen
I'm thinking math? Or physics? Or comp sci? Or EE?

Also, in which year do I choose a minor?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you could easily minor in math or physics. Computer engineering usually requires you to take a lot of math already. And as for physics, you will usually take lower divsion physics. The nice thing about computer engineering is that it combines computer science, electrical engineering, math, and physics together nicely.

If your computer engineering studies emphasize networks, I recommend the EE minor. But this is only from observing friends who are IT guys and electrical engineers. I'm neither.

Related to Computer Engineering Major. What should I minor?

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and computer science?

Computer engineering is a combination of electrical engineering and computer science, focusing on the hardware and software aspects of computer systems. Computer science focuses mainly on programming and software development.

2. What are the job prospects for a computer engineering major?

The job market for computer engineering majors is very strong, with a high demand for professionals in industries such as technology, telecommunications, and manufacturing. With the continued growth of technology, the job prospects are expected to remain strong in the future.

3. Do I need to have a specific minor for a computer engineering major?

It is not necessary to have a specific minor for a computer engineering major, but it can be beneficial to minor in a related field such as computer science, mathematics, or physics. This can provide a deeper understanding of the concepts and skills needed in the computer engineering field.

4. What skills are important for a computer engineering major?

Some important skills for a computer engineering major include strong problem-solving abilities, analytical thinking, attention to detail, and proficiency in programming languages and computer software. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in a collaborative environment.

5. Is it possible to switch from a different major to computer engineering?

It is possible to switch to a computer engineering major, but it may require additional coursework and time to catch up on the necessary prerequisites. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to create a plan for a smooth transition to the computer engineering major.