Computer Engineering Degree without an undergrad?

In summary: Other than learn the topics of interest by myself and have several web-business projects as long-term projects, what else would you recommend (I'm only 18 right now, I can plan ahead lots of things) to overcome that barrier?Some other things you could try include: -Attending a summer program at a top Computer Engineering school-Starting a software development business while you're still in college-Attending a bootcamp or a nearby university that offers a Computer Engineering program on weekends or part-time-Studying on your own using self-study materials or online courses
stonecoldgen
Hello again PF.

Is it possible/are there stories of people who have pursued a Computer Engineering degree without a Computer Engineering undegrad?

It's because the undegrad hasn't been what I was waiting for, however I am really interested in computer engineering masters, phds, etc.

I am thinking about switching to another engineering, probably Industrial Engineering; but I do plan to keep making software development proyects.

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
It's more about having the prerequisite coursework. Each school is different, but in addition to listing basic admissions requirements, many programs will list the specific courses you're expected to have taken *or* have equivalent knowledge to.

People do it all the time. You might have to take remedial courses which will make the degree take a bit longer. You will also need to overcome the admissions barrier of "Why should we admit you over someone with more relevant coursework?"

carlgrace said:
People do it all the time. You might have to take remedial courses which will make the degree take a bit longer. You will also need to overcome the admissions barrier of "Why should we admit you over someone with more relevant coursework?"

OK Thanks.

Other than learn the topics of interest by myself and have several web-business projects as long-term projects, what else would you recommend (I'm only 18 right now, I can plan ahead lots of things) to overcome that barrier?

stonecoldgen said:
OK Thanks.

Other than learn the topics of interest by myself and have several web-business projects as long-term projects, what else would you recommend (I'm only 18 right now, I can plan ahead lots of things) to overcome that barrier?

OK, so you're not in college yet. One thing you will learn is that Universities, for good or for bad, are very bureaucratic places. It doesn't matter one bit to *most* Universities if you know the material or not, they need to tick their different boxes so you "fulfill the requirement". There are exceptions to this, but not many. This means you will have to take the courses even if you know the material.

As an example, I minored in Statistics as part of my Ph.D. In my EE coursework I tooka pretty extensive stats courses. But the Statistics dept. made me take an intro stats class before I could take grad-level statistics since I didn't take *their* stats course. I crushed the course but it still took time. A bit of a waste.

The point of all this is try to take the Computer Engineering courses you will need while you're a undergrad. If your college requires you to be a Comp. Engr major to take them, then either major in it or Double Major. There was a guy in my EE dept during undergrad who double majored in Physics. It took him two only extra quarters to graduate... not bad.

Related to Computer Engineering Degree without an undergrad?

1. Can I pursue a computer engineering degree without having an undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a computer engineering degree without having an undergraduate degree. Many universities offer graduate programs in computer engineering that do not require a bachelor's degree in a related field. However, it may be more challenging to get accepted into these programs without a bachelor's degree.

2. What are the requirements for getting into a computer engineering program without an undergraduate degree?

The specific requirements vary by university, but most graduate programs in computer engineering require applicants to have a strong background in mathematics, computer science, and engineering. They may also require applicants to have relevant work experience or complete prerequisite courses.

3. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to my peers if I don't have an undergraduate degree?

It is possible that you may face some challenges if you do not have an undergraduate degree, such as having to take additional courses or having a harder time getting accepted into a program. However, with a strong background in computer science and engineering, you can still succeed in a computer engineering program.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a computer engineering degree without an undergraduate degree?

One potential benefit is that you can save time and money by not having to complete a bachelor's degree first. Additionally, if you have a strong background in computer science and engineering, you may be well-prepared for a graduate program in computer engineering and may excel in it.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge I should have before applying to a computer engineering program without an undergraduate degree?

While the specific requirements may vary, having a solid understanding of programming languages, computer hardware, and mathematics is crucial for success in a computer engineering program. It may also be helpful to have experience with specific software or technologies commonly used in computer engineering.