Computeing the coordinate vector

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two sets B and B', and their respective elements u1, u2, u'1, and u'2. The transition matrix from B' to B is found and the question is to compute the coordinate vector [w]B. The person attempted to solve it by multiplying the transition matrix with the given vector, but the book's answer is different and it is explained that w is in the standard basis.
savageqm
hello, am confuse with this problem.

I have

B = {U1,U2} and B' = {u'1,u'2}

u1 = [2,2], u2 =[4,-1] u'1 = [1,3], u'2 = [1,1]

Now I have found the transition matrix from B' to B which is

13/10 -1/2

-2/5 0

Now, the question that am having trouble with is: Compute the coordinate vector [w]B where

w = [3,-5]

What I did was.

[ 13/10 -1/2

-2/5 0 ] * [3,-5] = [32/5, -6/5]but, this answer is wrong according to my book. Please help explain what they are asking for. I figure they were asking for : [v]b = Pb' -> b[v]b'

the book answer is [w]B = [-17/10, 8/5]

opps I spelled computing wrong, sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
w is not written in the basis B' but in the standard basis (1, 0) and (0, 1). Your book gives the correct answer.

Related to Computeing the coordinate vector

1. What is a coordinate vector?

A coordinate vector is a mathematical representation of a point in a vector space. It consists of a set of numbers that indicate the position of the point in relation to a set of basis vectors.

2. How is a coordinate vector computed?

A coordinate vector is computed by taking the linear combination of the coordinates of the basis vectors that make up the point. This can be done using a matrix multiplication or by solving a system of equations.

3. Why is computing coordinate vectors important?

Computing coordinate vectors is important because it allows us to represent points in a vector space in a numerical form. This makes it easier to perform calculations and analyze data in a variety of fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. What is the difference between a coordinate vector and a position vector?

A coordinate vector and a position vector are both used to represent points in a vector space, but they have a different mathematical meaning. A position vector specifies the location of a point in relation to an origin, while a coordinate vector specifies the position of a point in relation to a set of basis vectors.

5. Can a coordinate vector have negative values?

Yes, a coordinate vector can have negative values. The sign of the values in a coordinate vector indicates the direction and orientation of the point in relation to the basis vectors. Positive values indicate a position in the direction of the basis vectors, while negative values indicate a position in the opposite direction.