Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Compute the ideal

Fermat

Nov 3, 2013
Compute the ideal generated by $\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix}$

My answer:
$\begin{bmatrix}a&b&c\\d&e&f\\g&h&i \end{bmatrix}$$\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix}$$\begin{bmatrix}a'&b'&c'\\d'&e'&f'\\g'&h'&i' \end{bmatrix}$=$\begin{bmatrix}aa'&ab'&ac'\\da'&db'&dc'\\ga'&gb'&gc' \end{bmatrix}$.

Is this correct, and is there a nicer way to express the matrices in the ideal?

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Compute the ideal generated by $\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix}$

My answer:
$\begin{bmatrix}a&b&c\\d&e&f\\g&h&i \end{bmatrix}$$\begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&0 \end{bmatrix}$$\begin{bmatrix}a'&b'&c'\\d'&e'&f'\\g'&h'&i' \end{bmatrix}$=$\begin{bmatrix}aa'&ab'&ac'\\da'&db'&dc'\\ga'&gb'&gc' \end{bmatrix}$.

Is this correct, and is there a nicer way to express the matrices in the ideal?
That is a correct, but not very informative, way of saying that the ideal is the whole algebra of $3\times3$ matrices. In fact, that algebra has no nontrivial ideals, so the ideal generated by any nonzero element is the whole algebra.

Edit. As later comments point out, you only get the rank 1 matrices this way. These do not form an ideal: you then need to take sums of them to get the full ideal.

Last edited:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Wouldn't the rank of the matrix always be 1?

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
The product given in the first post is indeed of rank one, yes.

However, any elementary matrix $E_{ij}$ can be produced by such a product by multiplying by $E_{1j}$ on the right, and $E_{i1}$ on the left.

Since any possible matrix can be obtained by $R$-linear combinations of the $E_{ij}$ and all such $R$-linear combinations of elements of the ideal are in the ideal, we obtain all 3x3 matrices.

Perhaps more elegantly, we have (writing $J$ for the ideal):

$E_{11},E_{22},E_{33} \in J \implies I = E_{11} + E_{22} + E_{33} \in J \implies J = \text{Mat}_3(R)$

where $R$ is the commutative ring we are taking our matrix entries from (which may, or may not be, a field, the original poster does not say).

Fermat

Nov 3, 2013
That is a correct, but not very informative, way of saying that the ideal is the whole algebra of $3\times3$ matrices. In fact, that algebra has no nontrivial ideals, so the ideal generated by any nonzero element is the whole algebra.

Edit. As later comments point out, you only get the rank 1 matrices this way. These do not form an ideal: you then need to take sums of them to get the full ideal.
So whats the generated ideal then? I thought by definition the generated ideal is the set of things of the form axa'

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
So whats the generated ideal then? I thought by definition the generated ideal is the set of things of the form axa'
Ideals must be closed under addition.....