Under what conditions is the renunciation of one's country justified?

• News
  • Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conditions
In summary: Under what conditions is the renunciation of one's country justified?Never until they draft your wife & children so that oil companies can make the big bucks.Why start from the assumption that any individual has any duty whatsoever toward a group of people sitting in a city far away?Better yet, why assume that group of people embodies your nation?Why feel that your nation is so dreadfully important?Anytime you want - get out if you want to and don't come back.Why start from the assumption that any individual has any duty whatsoever toward a group of people sitting in a city far away?Better yet, why assume that group of people embodies your nation?Why
Loren Booda

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, I suppose it would be a personal decision that is up to the individual traitor.

Under any circumstances. The state is there to serve the people. The people are not there to serve the state. And when you get right down to it, the entire idea of nations and borders is pretty bloody stupid. An unnecessary division of humanity.

Loren Booda said:
Never until they draft your wife & children so that oil companies can make the big bucks.

Why start from the assumption that any individual has any duty whatsoever toward a group of people sitting in a city far away? Better yet, why assume that group of people embodies your nation? Why feel that your nation is so dreadfully important?

Last edited:
Anytime you want - get out if you want to and don't come back.

Adam said:
Why start from the assumption that any individual has any duty whatsoever toward a group of people sitting in a city far away? Better yet, why assume that group of people embodies your nation? Why feel that your nation is so dreadfully important?

My nation is dreadfully important. However, I can understand why others would not find their respective nations very important :smile:

phatmonky said:

On what grounds would you renounce?

phatmonky said:

By what logic does any nation have the right to say "get out if you don't like my way"?

phatmonky said:
My nation is dreadfully important.

Why is it important?

Can smoeone at least attempt to answer my previous questions?

I am a dual national. My mother was a French citizen when I was born. My father (American) met my mother (French) during WWII. She is now a naturalized American.

Since my mother was still a French citizen when I was born (even though my father was American and I was born on US soil), I was supposed to denounce either my American or French citizenship when I turned 18. I didn't know this, so now I am a dual national unless I go through a lot of hassle to denounce one.

I am very proud to say that I am American. My mother hated the French mentality and was disowned by her family for marrying beneath her class.

My French family (outside of my two wacky aunts) is obnoxious.

I would gladly denounce my French citizenship in favor of my American citizenship.

Adam said:
By what logic does any nation have the right to say "get out if you don't like my way"?

If that is the only criteria that is involved, such a criteria should never have the sole ability to inact such a thing.
Now suggesting that someone take that action - nothing wrong with that.

Adam said:
And when you get right down to it, the entire idea of nations and borders is pretty bloody stupid. An unnecessary division of humanity.
Spoken like a true anarchist.

Wow. Now, can you answer the questions posed?

Dissident Dan said:
On what grounds would you renounce?

I'm not sure why I ever would. If I move to any of the countries I plan to later in life, they all allow a dual citizenship with the US. If nothing else leaving the door open wouldn't hurt, while closing it could.

If someone wants to make a point, or wants to live in a country that allows only one citizenship, then so be it. They can do what they want. I have no problem with anyone even wanting to renounce their American citizenship...I just don't want to hear any complaining or them looking to get back in afterwards. This goes for all countries.

What celebrated physicists, like Albert Einstein(?) or David Bohm, have renounced their citizenship?

I suppose religious persecution would be one example; however, your choice of an alternative country would be limited to a country that practices freedom of religion. Also, if you do not have dual citizenship like Evo, and take the oath of renuncification, you will become stateless. Up #%*@! Creek without a paddle.

Can someone give me an update on Alex Baldwin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert Zaleski said:
Can someone give me an update on Alex Baldwin.

Must still be studying on that renunciation oath.

1. What does it mean to renounce one's country?

Renouncing one's country means voluntarily giving up one's citizenship and all associated rights and privileges. It is a legal process that varies depending on the country in question, but typically involves formally declaring one's intent to renounce citizenship and completing necessary paperwork.

2. What are some common reasons for renouncing one's country?

Some common reasons for renouncing one's country include dissatisfaction with the government or political system, wanting to avoid military service or taxes, and wanting to obtain citizenship in another country with more favorable conditions.

3. Are there any circumstances where renouncing one's country is not justified?

Renouncing one's country is a personal decision and whether or not it is justified is subjective. However, renouncing one's country solely for financial or personal gain, without any legitimate concerns or grievances, may be viewed as unjustifiable by some.

4. Can the renunciation of one's country be reversed?

In most cases, the renunciation of one's country is a permanent decision and cannot be reversed. Some countries may allow individuals to reapply for citizenship after a certain period of time or under special circumstances, but this is not guaranteed.

5. What are the potential consequences of renouncing one's country?

The consequences of renouncing one's country vary depending on the country in question. In general, individuals may lose access to certain rights and privileges, such as the right to vote or hold public office, and may also face restrictions on travel and employment opportunities. It is important to research and understand the specific consequences before making the decision to renounce one's country.