Compute Solar Reflection from Parabolic Trough | Hi Everyone

• Thread starter Magnew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solar
In summary, a person is asking for help with calculating the total reflected solar radiation from a parabolic trough to its focal point. They have the necessary information on the geometry of the trough, the reflector efficiency, and the amount of solar irradiation. They are looking for a procedure to calculate this transfer and are open to suggestions for relevant resources.
Magnew
Hi to everyone

I wonder if someone knows how can i compute the total reflected solar radiation from a parabolic trough aperture area to the focal point, if we know the geometry of the parabolic trough the reflector coefficiency of the mirror and the amount of solar irradiation that is incident on the concentrator in a direction parallel to the central plane of the parabola. I would appreciate very much if someone could help me because i need this information in order to complete an essay that I'm working on.

Relevant books, software or web sites are welcome.

Thanx everyone in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up 'insolation'. It's the amount of solar radiation per unit area per unit time. It's a function of latitude, time of day, etc...even altitude. Try average insolation as well.

Last edited:
Thanx Phrak
I've already found a lot of things about the amount of incident solar radiation. What I am asking is a procedure to calculate the radiation transfer between a parabolic mirror and its focal point, if iknow the insolation and the reflection of the mirror.

Thank u

Anyone?

Related to Compute Solar Reflection from Parabolic Trough | Hi Everyone

1. What is a parabolic trough?

A parabolic trough is a type of solar thermal collector that is used to harness the sun's energy for electricity generation or heating. It consists of a long, curved mirror that focuses sunlight onto a receiver tube located at the focal point of the parabola.

2. How does a parabolic trough work?

The curved mirror of a parabolic trough reflects and concentrates sunlight onto a receiver tube, which contains a heat transfer fluid. The fluid is heated to high temperatures and then used to generate steam, which drives a turbine to generate electricity or to heat a fluid for other purposes.

3. What is the efficiency of parabolic troughs?

The efficiency of a parabolic trough varies depending on factors such as the location, weather conditions, and design of the system. On average, parabolic troughs have an efficiency of around 15-20%, meaning they can convert 15-20% of the sun's energy into usable electricity or heat.

4. What are the advantages of using parabolic troughs?

Parabolic troughs have several advantages over other forms of solar energy. They are cost-effective, reliable, and have a long lifespan. They also require minimal maintenance and can be easily integrated into existing power plants. Additionally, they do not emit any pollutants or greenhouse gases during operation.

5. What is the future of parabolic trough technology?

As technology advances, the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of parabolic troughs are expected to improve. They are also becoming more popular in areas with high solar radiation, such as deserts. In the future, parabolic troughs may play a significant role in meeting the world's energy demands and reducing reliance on fossil fuels.