Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Compute probability closeness between points in a 2D surface

LucaDanieli

Oct 21, 2019
Hi all,

Sorry, in my first message, I posted this question in the Basic Probability section, and so I moved it to this section.

I have a surface (for example, a blank paper).
In this surface, I have some elements of the set "A" randomly distributed.
In this surface, I also have some elements of the set "B" randomly distributed.
I would like to understand how may elements of "B" are present within a ray X from any element of "A".

I mean something like: "for each element An, there are N% (probability_result) elements of "B". "

Is it possible?

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
I would like to understand how may elements of "B" are present within a ray X from any element of "A".
Possibly need more information. Without more information about the ray, it seems you want to find the diameter of B and relate it to A in some way. What are you trying to do exactly?

LucaDanieli

Oct 21, 2019

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
I think by "ray" you mean "radius"? So perhaps the question is: given a sequence of points representing circle centers ($A_n$) with radii $r$ and a collection of points $B_m$, what proportion of points $B_n$ are contained within each circle centered at $A_n$?

LucaDanieli

Oct 21, 2019
Hi Joppy,

thanks for clarifying. Indeed it's radius and not ray. (I guess "ray" indicates the sunlight.... in Italian they have the same term).
So the final question is exactly as you summarized.

So: given a sequence of points representing circle centers (An) with radii r and a collection of points Bm, what proportion of points Bn are contained within each circle centered at An ?

Thanks also for making terminology more correct.