Compute Fluid drag, Swim Physics

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student trying to create a simulation of swimming "Animats" and seeking help with dealing with fluid dynamics and finding a physics engine. The student has a background in math and physics, including calculus, but is open to learning new programming languages.
omerAF
Hello,
I'm trying to create a simulation of swimming "Animats" (artificial animal). However, I'm only an high school student, so I don't know how to deal with fluid drag and fluid dynamics.
In this link you could find a short animation I made describing the swim motion my animat is going to follow.

I would appreciate it if anyone could explain me how to approach such sceneries, or refer me to an article I could learn from. If someone knows a physics engine that supports such movements, that would be even better.

p.s-that is my final goal

Technology news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

This is a very ambitious project for a high school student, but also a great learning opportunity for you in several different subjects.

Can you tell us more about your math and physics and programming backgrounds so far? Have you had calculus yet? How much? Have you learned about vectors yet? Have you learned basic Newtonian Mechanics yet? (F=ma level)

What programming language and what graphics package are you planning on using for this project?

Well, I learned vectors and newoton laws, finished calculus, but nothing else that could be important. I'm in eleventh grade, so I still got some thibgs to learn, but I do know the basics.

I'm pretty flexible with my programming language, I would rather use c# but if I would have to learn a new language I'd learn.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Related to Compute Fluid drag, Swim Physics

1. What is fluid drag and how does it affect swimming?

Fluid drag is the resistance that a fluid (such as water) exerts on an object as it moves through it. In swimming, fluid drag creates a force that acts against the swimmer's movement, making it more difficult to swim in the water.

2. How is fluid drag calculated?

Fluid drag is calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the density of the fluid, the velocity of the object, the surface area of the object, and the drag coefficient. The drag coefficient is a value that takes into account the shape and texture of the object moving through the fluid.

3. How do factors such as body position and technique affect fluid drag in swimming?

The body position and technique of a swimmer can greatly affect the amount of fluid drag they experience. A streamlined body position with minimal resistance, along with efficient stroke technique, can help reduce fluid drag and improve overall swimming performance.

4. What are some strategies for reducing fluid drag while swimming?

Some strategies for reducing fluid drag while swimming include maintaining a streamlined body position, reducing surface area by tucking in the elbows and keeping the head down, and using efficient stroke technique with a high elbow recovery and a strong kick.

5. How does the speed of a swimmer affect fluid drag?

The faster a swimmer moves through the water, the greater the fluid drag they will experience. This is because the force of fluid drag is directly proportional to the square of the swimmer's velocity. Therefore, increasing speed can significantly increase the amount of fluid drag a swimmer must overcome.