Maximizing Intensity of Transmitted Light in Polarization Disks

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three disks with varying transmission axes and the goal of finding the angle theta for the second disk in order to achieve maximum intensity of transmitted light from the third disk. The formula for intensity of the third disk is given and it is determined that a derivative should be taken to find the angle theta. The conversation also briefly mentions how to make subscripts and "pretty print" equations.
Will
I am studying for our final, and there is this problem that is confusing me.

There are three disks, with transmission axis of the 1st being 10 deg. from the vertical, the 2nd at an angle theta from the vertical, and the 3rd at an angle 120 deg from the vertical. Unpolarized light, I(0) is incident on the first disk,. We need to find the angle theta for 2nd disk so that transmitied light from 3rd disk is of max intensity.
So I know that the unpolarized light automatically loses 1/2 of its intensity; I(1)=I(0)/2 and that the intensity of I(3) is given by [I(0)/2]cos^2(theta-10)cos^2(120-theta). I think the formula is correct. So how should I go about finding the max? Should I take the derivative of this function and find the zeros, or is there a better way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You do not need to take a derivative. The outgoing beam of the first polarizer is the incoming beam for the second, and so on. The I0 for each polarizer is the incoming beam for that polarizer. So, your I0 for the second is simply your answer for the first.

Will

Still don't quite get it. I(1) emegerges out with a polarized at an angle 10 degrees to the vertical. It then goes through disk 2, which makes a variable angle( the one we need to solve for), and emerges as I(2) with intensity I(1)cos^2(theta-10), right? Then it goes thru disk 3 and emerges with I(3)=I(2)cos^2(120-theta.
If I set theta equal to 10 degrees, I get maximum transmission of I(2). But when it gose thru I(3), cos^2(120-10) is small, so I get a low transmission. So I think I need to find an angle in the somewhere in between 10 and 120 dgrees. Perhaps I was unclear on my wording of the problem, the axis of the first and third disk are fixed , at 10 and 120 respectively, and the angle of the second is variable.

ps how do you make subscripts, and for that matter "pretty print" equations?

Originally posted by Will
I(1) emegerges out with a polarized at an angle 10 degrees to the vertical. It then goes through disk 2, which makes a variable angle( the one we need to solve for), and emerges as I(2) with intensity I(1)cos^2(theta-10), right?

Right.

Then it goes thru disk 3 and emerges with I(3)=I(2)cos^2(120-theta.
If I set theta equal to 10 degrees, I get maximum transmission of I(2). But when it gose thru I(3), cos^2(120-10) is small, so I get a low transmission. So I think I need to find an angle in the somewhere in between 10 and 120 dgrees. Perhaps I was unclear on my wording of the problem, the axis of the first and third disk are fixed , at 10 and 120 respectively, and the angle of the second is variable.

Oops...I made a mistake. I misread your problem, and you were right initially: You do need to take a derivative. Either that, or graph the function to find the peak.

You have:

I2(θ)=I0cos2(θ-10o)

and

I3(θ)=I2(θ)cos2(120o-θ)

which you should rewrite as:

I3(θ)=I0cos2(θ-10o)cos2(120o-θ)

ps how do you make subscripts,

Example: Type

I[ sub ]0[ /sub ]

without the spaces to get:

I0

Replace sub with sup for superscripts.

and for that matter "pretty print" equations?

Look at the Announcement at the top of all the science forums:

Howto: Making Math Symbols.

You can also get math symbols by clicking "Get More" on the smiley menu, but they do not look as good as the ones in the Announcement.

1. How do polarization disks work?

Polarization disks are optical devices that control the orientation of light waves by filtering out certain polarizations. They consist of a stack of transparent sheets with microscopic polarizing crystals that only allow light waves with a specific direction of oscillation to pass through.

2. What is the purpose of maximizing the intensity of transmitted light in polarization disks?

The purpose of maximizing the intensity of transmitted light in polarization disks is to ensure the most efficient use of the device. By maximizing the intensity, we can achieve a stronger and clearer polarized light, which is essential for many applications such as microscopy and photography.

3. What factors affect the intensity of transmitted light in polarization disks?

The intensity of transmitted light in polarization disks can be affected by the orientation of the polarizing crystals, the thickness and number of layers in the disk, and the angle of the incident light. Other factors such as the quality and alignment of the crystals can also play a role.

4. How can we maximize the intensity of transmitted light in polarization disks?

To maximize the intensity of transmitted light in polarization disks, we can adjust the orientation of the disks to align with the direction of the incident light. Additionally, using a thinner and higher quality stack of crystals can also help to increase the intensity of the transmitted light.

5. What are the potential applications of maximizing the intensity of transmitted light in polarization disks?

The ability to maximize the intensity of transmitted light in polarization disks has many practical applications, including polarized sunglasses, liquid crystal displays (LCDs), and polarizing filters used in photography. It is also crucial in scientific research, particularly in microscopy and spectroscopy, where a strong and clear polarized light is necessary for accurate measurements and observations.