Computations with Tangent Vectors and Pushforwards - Lee

In summary, the conversation in John M. Lee's book discusses the nature of tangent vectors and their role in computations, specifically in regards to pushforwards. The objects ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}## are defined as coordinate vectors associated with a given coordinate system, but are also considered mappings that take in a smooth function and output a real number. These vectors can be thought of as directional derivatives on functions, and form the basis for the tangent plane at a given point on a manifold. The concept of a vector being a derivative may take some getting used to, but it is a common theme in geometry and allows for generalization to non-Euclidian spaces.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading John M. Lee's book: Introduction to Smooth Manifolds ...

I am focused on Chapter 3: Tangent Vectors ...

I need some help in fully understanding Lee's conversation on computations with tangent vectors and pushforwards ... in particular I need clarification on the nature of the 'vectors' [itex]\partial / \partial x_i |_p [/itex] ... ...

The relevant conversation in Lee is as follows:
?temp_hash=d38902aecadea3102a6b77c889f2a0b0.png

?temp_hash=d38902aecadea3102a6b77c889f2a0b0.png

In the above text from Lee we read the following:

" .. ... The vectors [itex]\partial / \partial x_i |_p [/itex] are called the coordinate vectors at [itex]p[/itex] associated with a given coordinate system ... ... "

My question is as follows:

How or in what sense are the [itex]\partial / \partial x_i |_p [/itex] vectors ... they are certainly not objects with a magnitude and direction ... they seem to me to be maps or operators ... ...

Indeed they are defined by Lee as follows:

[itex]\frac{ \partial }{ \partial x^i } |_p = ( \phi^{-1}_* ) \frac{ \partial }{ \partial x^i } |_{\phi(p)} [/itex]Thus, the [itex]\frac{ \partial }{ \partial x^i } |_p[/itex] are mappings ... put in a smooth function [itex]f[/itex] and get out a real number ...

So ... how, or in what sense are these objects vectors ...

Hope someone can clarify this issue ...

Peter

Attachments

• Lee - 1 - Ch 3 - Tangent Vectors - Computations in Coordinates - PART 1      ....png
    Lee - 1 - Ch 3 - Tangent Vectors - Computations in Coordinates - PART 1 ....png
    50.9 KB · Views: 702
  • Lee - 2 - Ch 3 - Tangent Vectors - Computations in Coordinates - PART 2      ....png
    Lee - 2 - Ch 3 - Tangent Vectors - Computations in Coordinates - PART 2 ....png
    21 KB · Views: 695
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,
To understand how the objects ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}## are vectors, consider the following:
Take a function ##f## defined in a neighbor of ##p \in M##, and a curve ##\alpha(t)## which passes through ##p## at ##\alpha(0)##. The time derivative of ##f## on the path is given by the chain rule, explicitly
$$ \frac{d(f \circ \alpha)}{dt} |_{t=0} = \frac{dx^i}{dt}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i} |_{p} $$
From this, we see that different velocities will give different time derivatives of f (the components ##\frac{dx^i}{dt}## will be different). Consequently, we can say that the vectors are equivalent to these directional derivatives on functions, i.e. these derivatives form an equivalence class for the vectors themselves. Also, these derivatives satisfy the properties of a vector space. If you go back to a manifold in an ambient space, say 2d surfaces in ##\mathbb{R}^3##, this definition fits since for a surface parametrized by ##\vec{x}(u,v)##, the tangent vectors ##\vec{x}_u## and ##\vec{x}_v## satisfy ##\vec{x}_u[f] = \partial_uf## and ##\vec{x}_v[f] = \partial_vf##. This is a common theme in geometry to define objects in a way that agrees with our intuition from Euclidian space but also allows us to generalize to non-Euclidian spaces.
For an arbitrary vector acting on a function, we have
$$X[f] = X^i \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i} $$
This gives the expression for X written in the coordinate basis ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}##:
$$X = X^i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}$$
We can then define the tangent plane at this point ##T_p M## as the set of all velocity vectors at that point for all possible curves passing through ##p##. When you're dealing with vectors on a manifold, one cannot specify a "direction" in the Euclidian sense by referencing some ambient space; rather, we say that the vector pointing in a direction (say the ##u## direction) takes the ##u## derivative of a function. Also, these vectors do have a magnitude if we are working with a Riemannian manifold, where the components of the metric are given by
##g_{i j} = < \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i} , \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}> ##

Likes Math Amateur and fresh_42
Brian T said:
Hi Peter,
To understand how the objects ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}## are vectors, consider the following:
Take a function ##f## defined in a neighbor of ##p \in M##, and a curve ##\alpha(t)## which passes through ##p## at ##\alpha(0)##. The time derivative of ##f## on the path is given by the chain rule, explicitly
$$ \frac{d(f \circ \alpha)}{dt} |_{t=0} = \frac{dx^i}{dt}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i} |_{p} $$
From this, we see that different velocities will give different time derivatives of f (the components ##\frac{dx^i}{dt}## will be different). Consequently, we can say that the vectors are equivalent to these directional derivatives on functions, i.e. these derivatives form an equivalence class for the vectors themselves. Also, these derivatives satisfy the properties of a vector space. If you go back to a manifold in an ambient space, say 2d surfaces in ##\mathbb{R}^3##, this definition fits since for a surface parametrized by ##\vec{x}(u,v)##, the tangent vectors ##\vec{x}_u## and ##\vec{x}_v## satisfy ##\vec{x}_u[f] = \partial_uf## and ##\vec{x}_v[f] = \partial_vf##. This is a common theme in geometry to define objects in a way that agrees with our intuition from Euclidian space but also allows us to generalize to non-Euclidian spaces.
For an arbitrary vector acting on a function, we have
$$X[f] = X^i \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i} $$
This gives the expression for X written in the coordinate basis ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}##:
$$X = X^i \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}$$
We can then define the tangent plane at this point ##T_p M## as the set of all velocity vectors at that point for all possible curves passing through ##p##. When you're dealing with vectors on a manifold, one cannot specify a "direction" in the Euclidian sense by referencing some ambient space; rather, we say that the vector pointing in a direction (say the ##u## direction) takes the ##u## derivative of a function. Also, these vectors do have a magnitude if we are working with a Riemannian manifold, where the components of the metric are given by
##g_{i j} = < \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i} , \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}> ##
Thanks Brian ... appreciate your help ...

Still reflecting on what you have said ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Thanks Brian ... appreciate your help ...

Still reflecting on what you have said ...

Peter

No problem, let me know if you have any explicit questions. It took me awhile to get used to the concept of a vector as a derivative as well.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Brian ... most reassuring ...

Peter

Related to Computations with Tangent Vectors and Pushforwards - Lee

1. What are tangent vectors?

Tangent vectors are mathematical objects that represent directions and rates of change on a differentiable manifold. They are typically defined as equivalence classes of curves passing through a given point on the manifold.

2. How are computations done with tangent vectors?

Computations with tangent vectors involve using the rules of differentiation and vector calculus to manipulate and combine these mathematical objects. This allows for the calculation of tangent vectors at different points on the manifold and for the evaluation of functions on the manifold in different directions.

3. What is the pushforward of a tangent vector?

The pushforward of a tangent vector is a way of mapping a tangent vector at one point on a manifold to a tangent vector at another point. It is defined by the derivative of a smooth map between manifolds and allows for the comparison of tangent vectors at different points on the same or different manifolds.

4. What is the significance of computations with tangent vectors and pushforwards?

Computations with tangent vectors and pushforwards are essential tools for studying differentiable manifolds and their properties. They allow for the calculation of derivatives, rates of change, and other important quantities on these spaces.

5. How are these concepts applied in real-world problems?

Tangent vectors and pushforwards have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and analyze physical systems, solve optimization problems, and develop algorithms for machine learning and data analysis.