Computational physics problems that involve nontrivial CS concepts?

In summary, a 3rd year physics major and a 3rd year computer science major are looking for a project that combines both of their skills. They are interested in a computational physics problem, but many of them seem trivial from a CS perspective. They are seeking examples or approaches that would be interesting from both a physics and computer science point of view, even if it is just recreating a well-known result. They are open to trying non-simplistic programming issues, such as implementing the O(n) time polygon triangulation algorithm, or creating a simulator for the n-body problem. They are also considering combining machine learning with sensors for a unique project.
Ragnord
I'm a 3rd year physics major and my friend is a 3rd year computer science major, and for a bit of fun we want to do some sort of project that will utilize both of our skills. Some sort of computational physics problem seems appropriate, but with my limited knowledge, it seems that a lot of them are somewhat trivial from a CS point of view. That is, they seem to involve very simple algorithms for doing a bunch of repetitive calculations, and don't have much to do with data structures and the sorts of things that computer scientists like. So can I have some examples of computational physics problems, or of ways of approaching them that involve concepts which are "interesting" from both a physics and computer science point of view? It doesn't have to be anything groundbreaking or new, even just trying to recreate some well known result would be alright, we're just doing this for fun. Thanks.

Edit: Oops, could I get this moved to Programming and Comp Sci?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Ragnord said:
I'm a 3rd year physics major and my friend is a 3rd year computer science major, and for a bit of fun we want to do some sort of project that will utilize both of our skills. Some sort of computational physics problem seems appropriate, but with my limited knowledge, it seems that a lot of them are somewhat trivial from a CS point of view. That is, they seem to involve very simple algorithms for doing a bunch of repetitive calculations, and don't have much to do with data structures and the sorts of things that computer scientists like. So can I have some examples of computational physics problems, or of ways of approaching them that involve concepts which are "interesting" from both a physics and computer science point of view? It doesn't have to be anything groundbreaking or new, even just trying to recreate some well known result would be alright, we're just doing this for fun. Thanks.

Edit: Oops, could I get this moved to Programming and Comp Sci?
Try to reverse your steps then. Look up some non-simplistic programming issues, like triangulation of a polygon, and apply them to physics.

Or you could just try to implement the O(n) time polygon triangulation algorithm into actual code. I don't think anyone will notice (or care) there was no physics if you do that.

Also are you trying to break new ground, or just do something? You can always try to make a simulator for the n-body problem. Even just doing a lot of simple calculations is impressive programming when you optimize it. Actually, optimized simplistic calculations is the more preferred code when compared to complex arcane programming to solve the same problem.

lawtonfogle said:
Even just doing a lot of simple calculations is impressive programming when you optimize it. Actually, optimized simplistic calculations is the more preferred code when compared to complex arcane programming to solve the same problem.

Agreed.

Some kind of machine learning combined with sensors. For example, people listened to the keys being typed on a keyboard and were able to learn the text begin typed after a while using frequencies of letters and the distinctive key sounds learned dynamically from each keyboard.

Related to Computational physics problems that involve nontrivial CS concepts?

1. What is computational physics?

Computational physics is an interdisciplinary field that combines physics, computer science, and mathematics to study and solve complex physical problems using computer simulations and algorithms.

2. What are some examples of nontrivial CS concepts used in computational physics?

Some examples of nontrivial CS concepts used in computational physics include data structures, algorithms, numerical methods, and parallel computing techniques.

3. How are computational physics problems typically solved?

Computational physics problems are typically solved using a combination of mathematical equations, numerical methods, and computer simulations. The results are then analyzed and interpreted to gain insights into complex physical phenomena.

4. What are the benefits of using computational physics in research?

Using computational physics allows researchers to study complex physical systems that are difficult or impossible to study experimentally. It also allows for faster and more cost-effective simulations compared to traditional experimental methods.

5. What skills are necessary for someone to be successful in computational physics?

Successful computational physicists should have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science. They should also have programming skills, an understanding of numerical methods, and the ability to analyze and interpret data.