Computational Physics Major?

In summary, for your undergraduate studies, it is best not to specialize too early. Most physics programs offer an introduction to computational methods course, and coupled with a computational thesis project and relevant courses from the computer science department, it should be enough to reach your goal. However, you can also consider a double major in computer science and physics, but this may result in taking courses that you may not enjoy and limit your elective options. On the flip side, more computer science courses may open up job opportunities outside academia. Another option is to do a minor in computer science or pursue a concentration within the major that incorporates computer science.
Jacob T Anderson
Hello, I really want a major in Computation Physics but I don't think my University has a class. Should I instead go into a double major in Computer Science & Physics? Or should I go into physics at all? I live in Iowa so it's not the best location for jobs in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your undergraduate studies it's usually best not to specialize too early. Most physics programs will have some kind of introduction to computational methods course. If you couple that with a computational thesis project and take courses from the computer science department as needed that should be sufficient to get you where you want to be.

You can double major if you want, but the consequences are that you could end up taking some courses you don't want to take just to meet the degree requirement and you'll have less room for other electives. Look at the specific coursework that's involved and see if the second major fits with the stuff you think you'll enjoy learning about. On the "pro" side, more computer science courses may open up more doors in the working world for you, once you leave academia.

Likes DeBangis21, StatGuy2000, marcusl and 2 others
Choppy said:
For your undergraduate studies it's usually best not to specialize too early. Most physics programs will have some kind of introduction to computational methods course. If you couple that with a computational thesis project and take courses from the computer science department as needed that should be sufficient to get you where you want to be.

You can double major if you want, but the consequences are that you could end up taking some courses you don't want to take just to meet the degree requirement and you'll have less room for other electives. Look at the specific coursework that's involved and see if the second major fits with the stuff you think you'll enjoy learning about. On the "pro" side, more computer science courses may open up more doors in the working world for you, once you leave academia.

Choppy has given excellent advice. Somehow clicking the LIKE button was not enough. I heartily second what he said!

Dr. Courtney said:
Choppy has given excellent advice. Somehow clicking the LIKE button was not enough. I heartily second what he said!
If that is so, I will click the LIKE button myself, just for you!

A good option would be to do a minor in computer science. There may also be a concentration within the major (other example would be chemical physics, biophysics, etc.)

Related to Computational Physics Major?

1. What is a computational physics major?

A computational physics major is a field of study that combines principles from physics and computer science to solve complex problems using computer simulations and mathematical models.

2. What skills are required for a computational physics major?

Some essential skills for a computational physics major include a strong foundation in mathematics, programming languages such as Python and C++, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and proficiency in using computational tools and software.

3. What career opportunities are available for a computational physics major?

Graduates with a degree in computational physics can pursue careers in various industries, including research and development, data analysis, software development, and engineering. They can also continue their education and pursue advanced degrees in fields such as physics, computer science, or data science.

4. What courses are typically included in a computational physics major?

Some common courses in a computational physics major may include classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, computer programming, numerical methods, computational modeling, and data analysis and visualization.

5. How is a computational physics major different from a traditional physics major?

A computational physics major differs from a traditional physics major in that it places a stronger emphasis on using computational techniques and tools to solve problems and analyze data. It also incorporates courses from computer science and mathematics, whereas a traditional physics major focuses more on theoretical and experimental physics.