Computational Newton's second law problem

In summary: Although it is not explicitly stated in the problem, it is implicit that the block moves because of the force exerted by the person pushing it (Newton's second law). To find this distance, you first need to find the force exerted by the person and then use that to calculate the acceleration. From there, you can use the acceleration and time to calculate the distance the block has traveled.
Hobold

Homework Statement

This is actually a very elementar Halliday's computational problem:

One person pushes a block with a force given by the equation [tex]F = 200e^{-0.15t}[/tex] (given in Newtons and seconds) and the block has, with the surface, a constant friction force of 80N. Find when the block stops moving and the distance moved.

Homework Equations

Newton's second law

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering Newton's second law, the problem seems to be obtaining the solution of the following differential equation:

[tex] 200e^{-0.15t} - 80 = m \left( \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} \right) [/tex]

This would actually be easy, though no mass is given. How can I solve numerically this equation not knowing the mass? Both Runge-Kutta and Euler's methods require it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Under what conditions will the block keep moving?

Velocity must not be null, though you can't solve for velocity if you don't have mass

Hobold said:
Velocity must not be null,...

That's not quite what I intended to ask :smile: Rather than, "how can you tell that the block is moving", Under what conditions will the block continue to move? What is making the block move in the first place?

It may be that there is not enough information given for a particular numerical answer; you may have to make some assumptions for that. For example, no initial velocity is given. Will you assume that it is zero? No particular mass is specified. Will you provide an expression for an answer rather than a numerical value, or will you pick a mass value and get on with it...?

You should be able (I think) to determine expressions for the acceleration, velocity, and position. Given that you know all the forces involved, the acceleration is accessible...

...and it just may be that it turns out that the time when the velocity goes to zero is independent of the mass... :wink:

Last edited:
If you assume that v0 = 0, then the time it takes for the block to come to rest is independent of the mass.

To find the time, notice that d2x/dt2 = dv/dt. Use this in your equation and integrate both sides w.r.t time, t. Then set v = 0 and solve for t (numerically or graphically).

The distance the block travels does depend on the mass.

Thank you very much, I solved it, though there is no way you can solve for distance, right? I mean without assuming anything about mass.

Last edited:
Hobold said:
Thank you very much, I solved it, though there is no way you can solve for distance, right? I mean without assuming anything about mass.

You can find an expression for the distance that depends upon mass.

Related to Computational Newton's second law problem

1. What is Computational Newton's second law problem?

Computational Newton's second law problem is a physics problem that involves using numerical methods to solve for the motion of an object based on Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration.

2. What are some common examples of Computational Newton's second law problems?

Some common examples of Computational Newton's second law problems include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the motion of a pendulum, and predicting the movement of objects in a gravitational field.

3. What is the role of computer programming in solving Computational Newton's second law problems?

Computer programming is essential in solving Computational Newton's second law problems as it allows for the use of numerical methods to solve complex equations and accurately simulate the motion of objects.

4. What are some challenges in solving Computational Newton's second law problems?

Some challenges in solving Computational Newton's second law problems include accurately modeling real-world conditions, such as air resistance and friction, and choosing appropriate numerical methods to ensure accurate and efficient calculations.

5. How can Computational Newton's second law problems be applied in real life?

Computational Newton's second law problems have many practical applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a rocket, designing roller coasters, and simulating the motion of planets in the solar system. They are also used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and video game design.