Compton Scattering w/Moving Electron: Turner's Eq 5.29

In summary, Turner's example of Compton scattering includes terms for the electron's pre- and post-collision momentum, but these terms are zero because the electron is at rest before the collision.
Ken Miller
I beg your pardon for not writing out the math explicitly in the following. I started to do so, and realized that it would take me hours to debug my attemps at Latex! And I hope that the my explanation is clear enough that it's not needed.

I've been working through R.E. Turner's "Relativity Physics," and have a question about the example he gives of Compton scattering, in which the quantity of interest is the post-collision gamma particle. All the examples I've seen elsewhere assume that the electron is at rest before the collision. In Turner's example, the electron is in motion before the collision. When Turner expands the right-hand side of the 4-vector conservation equation (equation 5.29 if you happen to have a copy), he gets the following terms:

--the dot-product of the pre-collision electron with itself,
--the energy/time-like term from the dot-product of the electron with the pre-collision gamma particle
--the energy/time-like term from the dot-product of the electron with the post-collision gamma particle
--the energy/time-like term from the dot-product of pre- and post-collision gamma particles
--the dot-product of the momenta of pre-collision electron and the post-collision gamma ray

But since both the pre-collision electron and gamma ray have momentum, shouldn't there also be a term for the dot-product of the momenta of these two particles?

Similarly, shouldn't there be a term for the dot-product of the pre-collision electron and the post-collision gamma ray?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the limited preview on Google books, that passage considers the usual case when the target electron is initially at rest, although the diagram is for the more general case with the target electron is initially in motion (which is Exercise 4... not viewable to me).

So, it seems that terms after Eq. 5.29 that are zero (because the electron’s initial spatial momentum is zero) have been dropped.

Oh, of course. I was so focused on the diagram that I didn't even see that the text mentioned "electron at rest". Thank you for saving me a lot of puzzlement!

Related to Compton Scattering w/Moving Electron: Turner's Eq 5.29

1. What is Compton Scattering with a Moving Electron?

Compton Scattering with a Moving Electron is a physical process in which a photon collides with a free electron, resulting in a change in the photon's wavelength and direction. This phenomenon was first observed by Arthur Compton in 1923 and has since been used to study the properties of matter and radiation.

2. How is Turner's Equation (Eq 5.29) related to Compton Scattering?

Turner's Equation (Eq 5.29) is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the incident photon's energy, scattered photon's energy, and the angle of scattering in Compton Scattering with a Moving Electron. It is derived from the principles of conservation of energy and momentum.

3. What are the applications of Compton Scattering with a Moving Electron?

Compton Scattering with a Moving Electron has various applications in the fields of physics, astronomy, and medicine. It is used to study the structure of atoms, the properties of materials, and the composition of celestial objects. In medicine, it is used in imaging techniques such as X-ray and CT scans.

4. How does the energy of the scattered photon change in Compton Scattering?

In Compton Scattering with a Moving Electron, the energy of the scattered photon decreases as the angle of scattering increases. This is due to the transfer of energy from the photon to the electron during the collision. The change in energy can be calculated using Turner's Equation (Eq 5.29).

5. Are there any limitations to Turner's Equation (Eq 5.29) in describing Compton Scattering with a Moving Electron?

While Turner's Equation (Eq 5.29) is a useful tool for understanding Compton Scattering with a Moving Electron, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the electron is free and has a negligible mass compared to the photon, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account the quantum mechanical nature of the particles involved, which may affect the accuracy of the results.