Compton Scattering and maximum energy

In summary, the problem involves finding the wavelength of the incident X-rays in a Compton scattering experiment where the maximum kinetic energy given to the electrons is 10 keV. By using the equations \Delta\lambda = (h/mc)*(1-cos\theta) and E = hc/\lambda, a final equation of .00243 - \lambdaincident = 1240 eVnm/(hc/\lambdaincident - 10 kEv) is obtained. The solution is .0239 nm, but the correct answer is .022 nm, which can be found by solving the quadratic equation \Delta E = \frac{hc}{\lambda} -\
typeinnocent

Homework Statement

If the maximum kinetic energy given to the electrons in a Compton scattering experiment is 10 keV, what is the wavelength of the incident X-Rays?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex] = (h/mc)*(1-cos[tex]\theta[/tex])
E = hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex]
[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex]scattered - [tex]\lambda[/tex]incident

[c]3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]
I think I made this question more complex than it is...
So I know that [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex] = .00243 nm and Einitial=Ephoton + Eelectron, and Eelectron =10 keV.
I made [tex]\lambda[/tex]scattered = hc/Ephoton.
This equals [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex] = hc/(Einitial - 10 keV), and then I plugged hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex]incident for Einitial.

My final equation is .00243 - [tex]\lambda[/tex]incident = 1240 eVnm/(hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex]incident - 10 kEv).

The solution is .0239 nm, however the correct answer in the book is .022 nm.
Although the solution is close, I feel that it's more due to luck than to actually doing the correct methodology. Could anyone help me solve this problem? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
so if you're happy with the wavelength shift to find the energy shift knowing

[tex] E = \frac{hc}{\lambda} [/tex]

differentiating and assuming only small changes, which probably isn't too far form the truth..
[tex] dE = -\frac{hc}{\lambda^2}d\lambda [/tex]

if you want the exact answer you need to solve:
[tex] \Delta E = \frac{hc}{\lambda} -\frac{hc}{\lambda + \Delta \lambda}[/tex]
you should be able to solve for lambda, by multiplying through by the denominators & rearranging to give a quadratic in terms of lambda

Related to Compton Scattering and maximum energy

1. What is Compton Scattering?

Compton Scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (electromagnetic radiation) collides with an electron, resulting in the electron gaining energy and the photon losing energy.

2. How does Compton Scattering contribute to understanding the properties of matter?

By studying the energy and direction of scattered photons, scientists can gain insight into the structure and composition of matter, such as the distribution of electrons within an atom.

3. What is the maximum energy that can be transferred from a photon to an electron in Compton Scattering?

The maximum energy transfer, also known as the Compton edge, can be calculated using the formula E_max = E_initial / (1 + (E_initial/m_e)(1-cos(theta))), where E_initial is the initial energy of the photon, m_e is the mass of the electron, and theta is the angle of scattering.

4. How is Compton Scattering used in medical imaging?

In medical imaging, Compton Scattering is used in computed tomography (CT) scans to produce images of the body's internal structures. The scattered photons can be detected and used to create a 3D image of the body's tissues and organs.

5. What are some applications of Compton Scattering in other fields?

Compton Scattering is also used in fields such as materials science, nuclear physics, and astronomy to study the properties of different materials, particles, and celestial bodies. It is also used in X-ray diffraction techniques to analyze the crystal structure of materials.