Compton scattering and Bragg diffraction

In summary: I suspect that there is some Compton scattering. Whether Compton scattering occurs for a particular electron may depend on the way the electron is bound to the nucleus. If the energy imparted to the electron by the x-ray photon is less than the energy required to take it to the next energy level, the electron cannot take on the x-ray's energy, so there would not be any change in x-ray energy.
eoghan
Hi! I know that x-rays interact with matter (compton effect). But I also know that when X-rays are incident on a crystal, they are diffracted following the Bragg's law.
My question is: why is the x-ray diffracted when it is incident on a crystal, but it isn't scattered by comtpon scattering?

Physics news on Phys.org
eoghan said:
Hi! I know that x-rays interact with matter (compton effect). But I also know that when X-rays are incident on a crystal, they are diffracted following the Bragg's law.
My question is: why is the x-ray diffracted when it is incident on a crystal, but it isn't scattered by comtpon scattering?
Bragg diffraction and Compton effect are two very different phenomena.

If you are wondering why the x-ray does not experience the Compton effect when undergoing Bragg diffraction, it is because the x-ray does not transfer much energy to the crystal. If it strikes an electron, it will impart energy to the electron and this will necessarily reduce the energy of the x-ray as a result. But the crystal has too much mass to absorb much of the x-ray's energy via the compton effect. It is kind of like a ball hitting a brick wall. Compton effect is observed when you have a photon hitting a particle.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Compton effect is observed when you have a photon hitting a particle.

But I've studied that Compton found the effect by the measurements of the x-ray frequencies scattered by graphite block, which is not a particle :confused:

eoghan said:
But I've studied that Compton found the effect by the measurements of the x-ray frequencies scattered by graphite block, which is not a particle :confused:
Well, the x-rays are not scattered by the block or graphite crystals in the block. They are scattered by the electrons in the graphite.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Well, the x-rays are not scattered by the block or graphite crystals in the block. They are scattered by the electrons in the graphite.

AM

but then... why in the bragg diffraction aren't the x-rays scattered by the electrons of the cristal?

eoghan said:
but then... why in the bragg diffraction aren't the x-rays scattered by the electrons of the cristal?
I suspect that there is some Compton scattering. Whether Compton scattering occurs for a particular electron may depend on the way the electron is bound to the nucleus. If the energy imparted to the electron by the x-ray photon is less than the energy required to take it to the next energy level, the electron cannot take on the x-ray's energy, so there would not be any change in x-ray energy.

AM

Related to Compton scattering and Bragg diffraction

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (or other elementary particle) collides with an electron, transferring some of its energy to the electron and causing it to scatter at a different angle. This effect was first observed by Arthur Compton in 1923 and is important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does Compton scattering differ from regular scattering?

In regular scattering, such as in the case of light reflecting off a mirror, the wavelength and energy of the scattered radiation remain the same as the incident radiation. However, in Compton scattering, the wavelength of the scattered radiation is longer and the energy is lower than the incident radiation due to the transfer of energy to the electron.

3. What is Bragg diffraction?

Bragg diffraction is a phenomenon in which a beam of X-rays or other waves is scattered in a specific pattern by a crystal or other regularly repeating lattice structure. This effect was discovered by father-son duo William and Lawrence Bragg in 1912 and is used in X-ray crystallography to determine the atomic structure of crystals.

4. How does Bragg diffraction work?

Bragg diffraction occurs when the wavelength of the incident radiation is on the same order of magnitude as the spacing between the atoms in a crystal lattice. As the radiation is scattered, constructive interference between the waves reflected from different atomic planes results in a distinct diffraction pattern.

5. What are some practical applications of Compton scattering and Bragg diffraction?

Compton scattering is used in various imaging techniques, such as Compton cameras for medical imaging and Compton telescopes for astronomical observations. Bragg diffraction is commonly used in X-ray crystallography to determine the structure of molecules and materials, as well as in X-ray spectroscopy to analyze the composition and properties of materials.