Compressibility of liquid vs solid actual numbers

In summary, the conversation discussed the compressibility of water and air, with the question of which is more compressible. It was noted that for an ideal gas, the compressibility is exactly 1, while for liquid water it is much less sensitive to pressure. The source for the compressibility of water was also provided. It was then clarified that the comparison between the two substances depends on the pressure, and at 1 atm, water is 215511 times less compressible than an ideal gas.
fahraynk
I was trying to find the compressibility of water and compressibility of air to compare.
For compressibility of water I found 46.4e-6
For compressibility of a gas... I am having a tough time finding anything. compressibility factor I can find, which is 1 for Hydrogen... but how does that relate to compressibility?

Also... if a liquid is much more viscous than water... water is .001[Pa*sec] so say if the viscosity = 2 then would it likely be more or less compressible than water?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fahraynk said:
For compressibility of a gas... I am having a tough time finding anything. compressibility factor I can find, which is 1 for Hydrogen... but how does that relate to compressibility?
That is the compresibility, which for an ideal gas is exactly 1, and real gases have k ≈ 1.

fahraynk said:
Also... if a liquid is much more viscous than water... water is .001[Pa*sec] so say viscosity = 2... then would it likely be more or less compressible than water?
I will let more knowledgeable people answer, but I would be surprised if there was a link between compressibility and viscosity.

DrClaude said:
That is the compresibility, which for an ideal gas is exactly 1, and real gases have k ≈ 1.

Hi DrClaude,
From the value he give for liquid water, I don't think he was referring to the compressibility factor z. I think he was referring to the reciprocal of the bulk modulus. For an ideal gas, the compressibility is equal to 1/p. For liquid water, it looks like the value he gave has units of 1/kPa.

I will let more knowledgeable people answer, but I would be surprised if there was a link between compressibility and viscosity.
I agree with your assessment.

Chestermiller said:
Hi DrClaude,
From the value he give for liquid water, I don't think he was referring to the compressibility factor z. I think he was referring to the reciprocal of the bulk modulus. For an ideal gas, the compressibility is equal to 1/p. For liquid water, it looks like the value he gave has units of 1/kPa.
Thanks for the clarification.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-16_18-59-19.png
    upload_2017-2-16_18-59-19.png
    610 bytes · Views: 536
fahraynk said:
From Fundamentals of aerodynamics John D Anderson :
Compressibility Φ :
$$\phi = \frac{1}{\rho}\frac{d\rho}{dP}$$
$$dP=\rho\phi d\rho$$

He derives this by manipulating this equation : $$\phi=\frac{1}{v}\frac{dv}{dP}$$ where v is specific volume = 1/ρ

Also I got the compressibility of water from this source : http://hydrogen.physik.uni-wuppertal.de/hyperphysics/hyperphysics/hbase/tables/compress.html
If you apply this to an ideal gas, you get a compressibility of 1/P.

Chestermiller said:
If you apply this to an ideal gas, you get a compressibility of 1/P.
So, am I right to say that 1/(46.4e-6), water is 21551 times less compressible than an ideal gas? (at a pressure of 1atm)

fahraynk said:
So, am I right to say that 1/(46.4e-6), water is 21551 times less compressible than an ideal gas? (at a pressure of 1atm)
No. The comparison depends on the pressure. In the case of liquid water, the compressibility is very insensitive to pressure. In the case of an ideal gas, the compressibility is sensitive to the pressure. So you have to specify at which pressure you are making the comparison.

Chestermiller said:
No. The comparison depends on the pressure. In the case of liquid water, the compressibility is very insensitive to pressure. In the case of an ideal gas, the compressibility is sensitive to the pressure. So you have to specify at which pressure you are making the comparison.
1 atm.
The compressibility on this site if I am reading it correctly (I might not be) says 46.4e-6 at 1atm http://hydrogen.physik.uni-wuppertal.de/hyperphysics/hyperphysics/hbase/tables/compress.html
The compressibility of ideal gas, 1/P... is that pressure in atmospheres? Because then the compressibility at 1atm = 1, and 1/46.4e-6 = 21551

fahraynk said:
1 atm.
The compressibility on this site if I am reading it correctly (I might not be) says 46.4e-6 at 1atm http://hydrogen.physik.uni-wuppertal.de/hyperphysics/hyperphysics/hbase/tables/compress.html
The compressibility of ideal gas, 1/P... is that pressure in atmospheres? Because then the compressibility at 1atm = 1, and 1/46.4e-6 = 21551
If the compressibility of the liquid water is 46.4E-4/atm (i.e., the pressure unit used for the pressure change is atm.), then I agree with this comparison.

Likes fahraynk

Related to Compressibility of liquid vs solid actual numbers

1. What is compressibility and how does it differ between liquids and solids?

Compressibility is the measure of how much a substance can be compressed under a given amount of pressure. In general, gases are the most compressible, followed by liquids, and then solids. This is because the molecules in gases are more spread out and have more space to compress, while solids have tightly packed molecules that are difficult to compress. Liquids fall somewhere in between, with a lower compressibility than gases but a higher compressibility than solids.

2. How is the compressibility of a liquid determined?

The compressibility of a liquid is determined by measuring its change in volume under different amounts of pressure. This is typically done by using a specialized apparatus called a compressometer, which applies pressure to a sample of the liquid and measures the resulting change in volume. The compressibility can then be calculated using the formula: compressibility = (change in volume) / (original volume x change in pressure).

3. Are there any factors that can affect the compressibility of liquids and solids?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the compressibility of liquids and solids. One major factor is temperature, as higher temperatures can cause molecules to move more freely and increase the compressibility of a substance. The type of molecules present can also play a role, as some molecules are more easily compressed than others. Additionally, the pressure itself can affect the compressibility, as extremely high pressures can cause changes in the structure of a substance that may make it more or less compressible.

4. What are some real-life applications of understanding the compressibility of liquids and solids?

Understanding the compressibility of liquids and solids is important in various industries, such as oil and gas, where the compressibility of fluids plays a role in the extraction and transportation of resources. It is also crucial in engineering and construction, as it can impact the stability and durability of structures under different amounts of pressure. In the medical field, knowledge of the compressibility of bodily fluids is important in procedures such as angioplasty, where pressure is used to widen narrowed blood vessels.

5. Can compressibility be used to predict the behavior of liquids and solids under different conditions?

Yes, the compressibility of a substance can provide valuable insights into how it will behave under different conditions. For example, if a liquid has a high compressibility, it may be more likely to expand or contract significantly under changes in pressure. This information can be useful in designing systems or processes that involve liquids and solids, as it allows for more accurate predictions of their behavior and potential limitations.