Compressed spring, doubling speed of impact

In summary, when the shoe is traveling at double the speed, the maximum compression is achieved by the spring with a new K.E. of 1.826 J.
shrutij

Homework Statement

A 0.211 kg shoe is dropped onto a vertically oriented spring with a spring constant of 102 N/m. The shoe becomes attached to the spring upon contact, and the spring is compressed 0.117 m before coming momentarily to rest.
If the speed of the shoe just before impact is doubled, what is the maximum compression achieved by the spring?

The Attempt at a Solution

Before this question, I figured out the speed the shoe was traveling at just before it hit the spring to be 2.08 m/s, which was correct. I also figured out the work done by the spring force to be -0.698 J and the work done by the weight of the shoe to be 0.242 J.
I know that when speed doubles, K.E. quadruples, which means the net work done must increase by 4 as well.
Wnet= Wgrav+Wspring=0.242 -0.698=-0.456 J.
I found the new K.E. to be 1.826 J (with doubled speed).
When I equate KE to Wnet, I get a quadratic: m*g*x -0.5*k*x^2= -1.826 J (new K.E.)
Is there no other way other than solving this quadratic to get to the new compression?
HELP, please!

Physics news on Phys.org
shrutij said:

Homework Statement

A 0.211 kg shoe is dropped onto a vertically oriented spring with a spring constant of 102 N/m. The shoe becomes attached to the spring upon contact, and the spring is compressed 0.117 m before coming momentarily to rest.
If the speed of the shoe just before impact is doubled, what is the maximum compression achieved by the spring?

The Attempt at a Solution

Before this question, I figured out the speed the shoe was traveling at just before it hit the spring to be 2.08 m/s, which was correct. I also figured out the work done by the spring force to be -0.698 J and the work done by the weight of the shoe to be 0.242 J.
I know that when speed doubles, K.E. quadruples, which means the net work done must increase by 4 as well.
Wnet= Wgrav+Wspring=0.242 -0.698=-0.456 J.
I found the new K.E. to be 1.826 J (with doubled speed).
When I equate KE to Wnet, I get a quadratic: m*g*x -0.5*k*x^2= -1.826 J (new K.E.)
Is there no other way other than solving this quadratic to get to the new compression?
HELP, please!
There may be some other way, but what's wrong with solving the quadratic equation?

I tried solving the quadratic equation, but didn't get the right answer. Can someone tell me where I went wrong with my approach?
thanks

Related to Compressed spring, doubling speed of impact

1. What is a compressed spring?

A compressed spring is a mechanical device that is designed to store potential energy by being compressed or stretched. When released, the stored energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the spring to expand or contract.

2. How does a compressed spring affect the speed of impact?

When a compressed spring is released, it rapidly expands and transfers its stored energy to the object it is in contact with. This sudden transfer of energy causes the object to accelerate, thus increasing its speed of impact.

3. Can doubling the compression of a spring double the speed of impact?

No, doubling the compression of a spring does not necessarily double the speed of impact. The speed of impact depends on various factors such as the mass and shape of the object being impacted, as well as the material and stiffness of the spring.

4. How does the stiffness of a spring affect the speed of impact?

The stiffness of a spring, also known as its spring constant, determines how much force is required to compress or stretch the spring. A stiffer spring will require more force to compress, resulting in a higher speed of impact when released compared to a less stiff spring.

5. What are some real-world applications of a compressed spring doubling speed of impact?

Compressed springs are commonly used in various devices such as car suspension systems, pogo sticks, and even toys like wind-up cars. They are also used in industrial settings for impact testing of materials and components. In sports, compressed springs are used in equipment like basketball shoes to provide extra bounce and increase speed.