Comprehensive Supernova Catalog: Redshift, DM, DM Err & Position Data

In summary, the Comprehensive Supernova Catalog is a database that contains information on supernovae, including their redshift, dark matter (DM), DM error, and position data. This catalog serves as a valuable resource for researchers studying these explosive events and their impact on the universe. By providing a comprehensive collection of data, the catalog allows for a more thorough understanding of supernovae and their role in cosmology.
smithhs
I need a list of type Ia supernova with redshifts, Distance Modulus, Distance modulus error, and position in galactic coordinates, but I havn't been able to find one that has all of that information (I have found several with some of the information, but not all of it). Does anyone know where I can find a supernova catalog with all of this?

EDIT: I already looked here (http://supernova.lbl.gov/), which had the redshift and distance modulus data but not position data, and here (http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/W3Browse/all/asiagosn.html), which had the opposite. I tried merging the list but it seems as though the reported supernova names are slightly different (or I'm just unable of merging them properly).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

You might try SIMBAD or NED but I'm not sure if they will have exactly what you need.

I finally found the information I was looking for here:

http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR

This is by far the most comprehensive supernova catalog I have ever seen, by the way.

Yes, Vizier is always a good place for astronomical catalogs. Catalog J/ApJ/716/712, among others, is probably what you are seeking.

Last edited:

I understand your frustration in trying to find a comprehensive supernova catalog with all the necessary information. However, it is important to note that compiling such a catalog can be a challenging and ongoing process, as new supernovae are constantly being discovered and studied.

One possible solution is to consult multiple sources and cross-reference the data to create your own comprehensive list. You can also try reaching out to the authors of the individual catalogs you have found and see if they can provide the missing information or suggest other sources.

Additionally, there are databases such as the International Supernova Network (https://www.rochesterastronomy.org/snimages/) which provide a searchable database of supernova data, including redshift, distance modulus, and position. However, it may require some manual searching and compilation to create a list with all the desired information.

In conclusion, while there may not be a single, easily accessible catalog with all the information you need, with some effort and resourcefulness, you can compile the data from various sources to create your own comprehensive list.

Related to Comprehensive Supernova Catalog: Redshift, DM, DM Err & Position Data

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is a powerful explosion that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life. It is one of the most energetic events in the universe, releasing a tremendous amount of energy and producing elements that are essential for life.

2. What is the Comprehensive Supernova Catalog?

The Comprehensive Supernova Catalog is a database that contains information about supernovae, including their redshift (the measure of how much their light has been stretched by the expansion of the universe), distance modulus (a measure of their distance from Earth), distance modulus error, and position data.

3. How is the redshift of a supernova measured?

The redshift of a supernova is measured by comparing the wavelengths of its light to the wavelengths of known elements. When the light from a supernova is stretched, the wavelengths appear longer, indicating a higher redshift.

4. Why is the distance modulus important for understanding supernovae?

The distance modulus is important because it allows scientists to calculate the distance of a supernova from Earth. This information, combined with the redshift, can help scientists determine the expansion rate of the universe and the nature of dark energy.

5. How is the Comprehensive Supernova Catalog used in scientific research?

The Comprehensive Supernova Catalog is used by scientists to study the properties and evolution of supernovae, as well as their role in shaping the universe. It also helps to improve our understanding of dark energy and the expansion of the universe.