Sally's Trip: Find Total D., Avg. Speed in km

• Thread starter licia589
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, Sally traveled a total distance of 168.6 km (55.52 km at 94.9 km/h, 23.8 km at 117 km/h, and 89.28 km at 53.7 km/h) and spent 20.6 min on non-driving activities. Therefore, the total time for the trip was 122.4 minutes (35.1 min + 12.8 min + 53.9 min + 20.6 min) and the average speed was 1.376 km/min (168.6 km / 122.4 min).
licia589
sally travels by car from one city to another. she drives for 35.1 min at 94.9 km/h, 12.8 min at 117 km/h, and 53.9 min at 53.7 km/h and she spends 20.6 min eating lunch and buying gas

a)find the total distance traveled. answer in units of km
b) find the average speed for the trip answer in units of km!

please help I've tried figuring this out and none of my answers are right! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So what u have done so far Welcome to PF and do
READ

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28

I think licia is waiting for someone to post the answer.

no not at all I am just waiting for someone to show me how to do it.. not to give me the answer because the way i have been doing it hasnt been working so please help

Licia

Why don't you explain how you've been doing it? Everyone can then point out where you've gone wrong and help you find the right path.

You know exactly how long she was driving at each speed so you can calculate how far she went. For example, she drove 94.9 km/h for 35.1 min (which is 35.1/60= .585 hours) and so went (94.9)(.585)= 55.52 km. Calculate the distance at each speed and add to find the total distance. Add all the times together to find the total time (don't forget the time eating lunch and getting gas) and divide "distance by time" to find the average speed.

1. What is "Sally's Trip: Find Total D., Avg. Speed in km" about?

"Sally's Trip: Find Total D., Avg. Speed in km" is a scientific experiment designed to calculate the total distance traveled and average speed of Sally's trip using kilometers as the unit of measurement.

2. Who is Sally and why is her trip being studied?

Sally is a hypothetical person used in the experiment to represent a typical traveler. Her trip is being studied to gather data and insights on the distance and speed of a typical trip using kilometers as the unit of measurement.

3. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the total distance and average speed of a trip using kilometers as the unit of measurement. This information can be used to make informed decisions and improve transportation systems.

4. How is the total distance and average speed calculated in this experiment?

The total distance is calculated by adding up the distances traveled during each leg of the trip. The average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance by the total time taken to complete the trip.

5. What are the potential applications of the results from this experiment?

The results from this experiment can be used to improve transportation systems, plan more efficient routes for travel, and understand the impact of distance and speed on fuel consumption and emissions. They can also be used for research and educational purposes.