Compounding Errors: Combining Accuracies of Fluke Meter & Clamp

• Thread starter elimenohpee182
  • Start date
In summary, the Fluke Power Analyzer Model 437 Series 2 measures voltage while the Fluke i5sPQ3 AC Current Clamp measures current. To combine these accuracies to establish a single accuracy, the meter ±0.5% ±5 counts. The clamp ±1% ±5mA, in the range of 10mA to 1A. Combined ±1.5%, ±5 counts, ±5mA, over the range of 10mA to 1A.
elimenohpee182
Hey Guys,
I'm not sure the correct procedure for comounding errors using some test equipment. I'm trying to measure electrical current using a fluke meter and a fluke current clamp. Here are the two devices I'm using specifically:

Fluke Power Analyzer Model 437 Series 2
Fluke i5sPQ3 AC Current Clamp

Here is where it is confusing. The Fluke meter has an accuracy spec as well as the current clamp. For instance, the meter says in the range 0.5 - 200A, the accuracy is 0.5% + 5 counts. The clamp says the accuracy is 1% + 5mA in the range of 10mA - 1A.

What is the appropriate way to combine these two accuracies to establish a single accuracy? I would think to add them, but I've seen some people that seem to take an average, using a RMS-type formula.

Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Meter ±0.5% ±5 counts.
Clamp ±1% ±5mA, in the range of 10mA to 1A.

Combined ±1.5%, ±5 counts, ±5mA, over the range of 10mA to 1A.

Say you have 1.0 A on your meter. The meter accuracy says that the actual current measured is within the largest range between ±0.5% (0.995-1.005 A) and ±5 counts (0.5-1.5 A); 0.5-1.5 A it is.

Then the current sent by the clamp (which is anything between 0.5 A and 1.5 A) could have been within the largest range between ±1% (0.495-1.515 A) and ±5mA (0.495-1.505 A); Hence the actual current of your 1.0 A measurement could be anywhere between 0.495-1.515 A.

Doing the same procedure with a 0.5 A measurement yields:

meter:
  • ±0.5%: 0.4975-0.5025 A
  • ±5 counts: 0.0-1.0 A (largest)
clamp:
  • ±1%: 0.0-1.01 A
  • ±5mA: (-0.005)-1.005 A
Possible actual current measured: (-0.005) - 1.01 A

If you used your clamp with the 1-5 A range with a 1% accuracy, then with a 5.0 A measurement, the actual current range is:

meter:
  • ±0.5%: 4.975-5.025 A
  • ±5 counts: 4.5-5.5 A (largest)
clamp:
  • ±1%: 4.455-5.555 A
Basically, the ±5 counts on the 0.1 A resolution of your meter is killing the accuracy of your clamp.

elimenohpee182 said:
... the meter says in the range 0.5 - 200A, the accuracy is 0.5% + 5 counts. The clamp says the accuracy is 1% + 5mA in the range of 10mA - 1A.
When using these accuracies to determine an uncertainty of a measurement, only comparison with a standard will provide a way of eliminate or compensate for any calibration errors.

I note that the “Fluke i5sPQ3” AC Current Clamp appears not to be a current ratio transformer, but is specified to produce a voltage output of 400 mV/A. I expect that requires the “Fluke Model 437 Series 2” Power Analyzer then be used as a volt meter on the range up to 5A * 0.4V = 2V FSD.

But the 437-II meter range is specified as Vrms 1V to 1000V phase to neutral, with resolution 0.01 V ± 0.1% of nominal voltage.
for 0.5A * 0.4V/A = 0.2V, 0.01V is 20:1 = 5%
for 1.0A * 0.4V/A = 0.4V, 0.01V is 40:1 = 2.5%
for 2.0A * 0.4V/A = 0.8V, 0.01V is 80:1 = 1.25%
for 5.0A * 0.4V/A = 2.0V, 0.01V is 200:1 = 0.5%
So the limitation is not always the 1% accuracy of the clamp, but is the resolution of the voltmeter.

To get more accurate results it would seem necessary to use a higher resolution voltmeter, change to a current transformer clamp, or use a voltage amplifier between the clamp and analyser.

Related to Compounding Errors: Combining Accuracies of Fluke Meter & Clamp

1. What is the purpose of compounding errors in the context of a Fluke meter and clamp?

The purpose of compounding errors is to accurately determine the overall accuracy of a measurement when using both a Fluke meter and clamp. This is important because both instruments have their own individual accuracies that can affect the overall measurement.

2. How are the accuracies of a Fluke meter and clamp combined?

The accuracies of a Fluke meter and clamp are combined by multiplying their individual uncertainties together. For example, if the Fluke meter has an uncertainty of 0.5% and the clamp has an uncertainty of 1%, the compounded uncertainty would be 0.005 x 0.01 = 0.00005 = 0.005%.

3. What factors can contribute to compounding errors in a Fluke meter and clamp?

There are several factors that can contribute to compounding errors in a Fluke meter and clamp, including the accuracy of the instruments, environmental conditions, and the skill of the operator. Other factors such as electrical interference and improper calibration can also impact the overall accuracy of the measurement.

4. How can compounding errors be minimized in a Fluke meter and clamp?

To minimize compounding errors, it is important to use high-quality and properly calibrated instruments. Additionally, the operator should have a good understanding of the measurement process and take steps to reduce environmental factors that may impact the accuracy of the instruments. Regular maintenance and calibration of the instruments can also help to minimize errors.

5. What are some potential consequences of not accounting for compounding errors in a Fluke meter and clamp?

If compounding errors are not taken into account, the overall accuracy of the measurement may be significantly affected. This can lead to incorrect data and potentially result in costly errors or safety hazards. It is important to consider and minimize compounding errors to ensure accurate and reliable measurements.