Most underpaid and overpaid vocations

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, most overpaid professions are in the fields of medicine, dentistry, engineering, and business management. Most underpaid professions are in the fields of nursing, social work, and teaching.
Loren Booda
Which vocations are most overpaid, and which are most underpaid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why the angry face? For overpaid I would say Hawaii, never been there: it is so expensive to go there.

vacations in space are the most overpriced, shortest and most risky vacations there are, all for a great view and some weightlessness, for a fraction of that money you could go to a country like colombia where the prices are low and the coffee flows, then again it is kinda risky too...but seriously i find that great deals in vacations are in eastern europe (except Prague).

vocations, not vacations!

Underpaid: engineers (they really do make the world go round)

Overpaid: EU farmers, especially big French ones (why do the voters in EU countries put up with such unjustified, uneconomic subsidies - via the CAP?).

Nereid,
vocations, not vacations!

Vocation [?] euhh *looks around for a dictionary*

Overpaid: Senior managers, CEOs, cosmetic surgeons, real estate agents, US farmers (from an Australian perspective).

Underpaid: Teachers, nurses, social workers.

errr...my bad.

Overpaid: Government workers, not people that actually make the country run but the people such as in licencing, immagration..etc.. one of the most lazy people ever, never work 110%, bounus's for nothing, always late, never care...

Underpaid: Engineers.

Overpaid: Athletes, singers, actors, CEO's, etc.

Underpaid: Scientists, engineers, teachers

I have some friends in the Automotive Industry (having been in Detroit) and they say that those people who order other people around are getting grossly overpaid with crazy yearly bonusses..

Underpaid= Me

Overpaid = Everyone else

Most overpaid... Orthodontists
For a 35-hour workweek, orthodontists earn a median $350,000 a year, according to the Journal of Clinical Orthodontics. General dentists, meanwhile, earn about half as much working 39 hours a week on average, in a much dirtier job.

The difference in their training isn't like that of a heart surgeon vs. a family-practice doctor. It's a mere two years, and a vastly rewarding investment if you're among the chosen: U.S. dental schools have long been criticized for keeping orthodontists in artificially low supply to keep their income up.

Most underpaid...nurses, social workers and teachers.

Last edited:
There was an article about this recently. Top Ten most overpaid jobs i the U.S.

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B954AA053-F953-43F3-BBC8-63D351A3BF2A%7D&siteid=google&dist=google [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by that_guy
There was an article about this recently. Top Ten most overpaid jobs i the U.S.

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B954AA053-F953-43F3-BBC8-63D351A3BF2A%7D&siteid=google&dist=google [Broken]
Thanks for providing the link. I had seen it once and remembered its reference to the dentists but had forgotten to save the link. The only thing I would disagree with are the Longshoreman (not the clerks doing the data entry). It is one of the most dangerous physical jobs (lots of injuries and deaths) and long hours (over 24 hours of brutal labor sometimes) when perishable shipment has to be unloaded during docking. Their career is short lived so they aren't making these salaries to a nice and cozy retirment of 65. I believe PBS did a nice commentary on them once. As for the specialty doctors. The only ones I know that make a million a year are either the heart surgeons who invented and pattoned many of the artificial heart valves, heart, stents etc. but are still working 100 hours a week or plastic surgeons and anesthiosologists. However, since both have malpractice premiums in some states between half a million or 700,000, the numbers may be inflated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't think atheletes/musicians/actors are overpayed considering the amount of profit they generate. If you help sell out 50,000 seats at $30 each, or sell 4 million records or your movie grosses 17 million in the first weekend, you deserve a big cut of the profits, afterall, the people payed to see the atheletes/musicians/actors. The people behind the scenes should definitely get more than they do, but atheletes/musicians/actors generate such ridiculous amounts of money that if they didn't get the crazy money they did, the ceo's of the companies that employ them would just get more.

As for underpayed, practically all physical labor work, janitors, construction workers etc.

Last edited:
Overpaid: Venture Capitalists.

It's absolutely rediculous what these vultures make. I should know since I worked for a failed startup in Silicon Valley funded by these...did I say vultures?

Underpaid: Teachers, Nurses

Cheers.

awsoem way to open up the thread...

I think servign is it's hardly a skill and you can make like 200 a night or more at a resturant. Unless youdotn consider it a vocation

What are the most underpaid vocations?

The most underpaid vocations are typically those that involve manual labor or caregiving, such as food service workers, childcare providers, and home health aides. These jobs often require long hours and physically demanding work, but the pay is often low and does not reflect the value of the work.

What are the most overpaid vocations?

The most overpaid vocations are often those in the financial and corporate sectors, such as investment bankers, CEOs, and lawyers. These jobs often involve high salaries and bonuses, but the work may not necessarily benefit society as a whole and can contribute to income inequality.

Why are some vocations underpaid while others are overpaid?

This can be attributed to various factors such as supply and demand, societal values and norms, and power dynamics. Some jobs may be undervalued due to biases and discrimination, while others may be overvalued due to the influence of powerful individuals or industries.

How can we address the issue of underpaid and overpaid vocations?

One way is to advocate for fair wages and better working conditions for underpaid vocations through policies and collective bargaining. Additionally, individuals can prioritize ethical and socially responsible companies and support organizations that aim to reduce income inequality.

What impact does the disparity in pay for vocations have on society?

The disparity in pay can contribute to income inequality and perpetuate social and economic disparities. It can also affect the well-being and quality of life of individuals in underpaid vocations, leading to issues such as poverty and lack of access to basic needs. On the other hand, overpaid vocations can contribute to the concentration of wealth and power in a small percentage of the population.