Compound Proposition Simplification

• MHB
  • Thread starter User40405
  • Start date
In summary: So all you need to do is negate the first and last premise and you're done.In summary, the student is trying to simplify a compound proposition, but is not able to do so. They ask for help from others, but do not provide any themselves.
User40405
Hi all

I need to complete this question for an assignment, but I cannot seem to understand how to simplify the compound proposition with logical equivalences. If anyone here understands how to complete this question, please could you show me how, as it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Here is the question: View attachment 8461

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 96
Physics news on Phys.org
You know that $a \to b$ is equivalent to $\neg a \vee b$

Therefore $[(p \vee q) \wedge \neg p] \to q$ is equivalent to $\neg [(p \vee q) \wedge \neg p] \vee q$

Now you can simplify the last expression.

steenis said:
You know that $a \to b$ is equivalent to $\neg a \vee b$

Therefore $[(p \vee q) \wedge \neg p] \to q$ is equivalent to $\neg [(p \vee q) \wedge \neg p] \vee q$

Now you can simplify the last expression.

Thank you so so much!

I have been checking guides the entire day and yesterday. I can now get to where you got with it, but I cannot simplify the last expression (pvq). I do not know how to change this and get the simplified form.

- - - Updated - - -

Because (pvq) is equivalent to (qvp). But how does that help me?

Or use the distributive law in the first block:
$$(p\vee q)\wedge\neg p\ \equiv\ (p\wedge\neg p)\vee(q\wedge\neg p)\ \equiv\ q\wedge\neg p.$$

I. study the theory

II. use $\neg (a \wedge b)$ is equivalent with $\neg a \vee \neg b$

Hey guys I have the same problem given by our professor but we weren't even taught anything that we can use with simplifying the given compound proposition.

I was hoping someone can help and show how to simplify that given, it would be a really great help.

I don't know what "study the theory" or "use" mean here. I do know that you have "p is true OR q is true" AND "p is NOT true". It follows that q must be true.

Related to Compound Proposition Simplification

1. What is compound proposition simplification?

Compound proposition simplification is a process used in propositional logic to reduce complex compound propositions into simpler ones. It involves applying logical equivalence rules to eliminate unnecessary logical connectives and simplify the overall structure of the proposition.

2. Why is compound proposition simplification important?

Compound proposition simplification is important because it helps to make complex propositions easier to understand and evaluate. It also allows for the identification of logical relationships between propositions and can help to identify contradictions or inconsistencies in an argument.

3. What are some common logical equivalence rules used in compound proposition simplification?

Some common logical equivalence rules used in compound proposition simplification include the commutative, associative, and distributive laws, De Morgan's laws, and double negation.

4. How do I apply compound proposition simplification?

To apply compound proposition simplification, you need to be familiar with the logical equivalence rules and their corresponding truth tables. Then, you can systematically apply these rules to simplify the proposition until it is in its most basic form.

5. Can compound proposition simplification be used in real-world applications?

Yes, compound proposition simplification can be used in real-world applications, particularly in fields such as computer science, mathematics, and philosophy. It can help to simplify complex logical expressions and make them easier to analyze, which is important in problem-solving and decision-making processes.