Compound Microscope: Calculating Focal Length of Objective

In summary, the focal length of the objective of the compound microscope is approximately 334.4 mm. This was calculated using the formula M = (-di / do) (N / f), where di is the distance of the image from the eyepiece, do is the distance of the object from the objective, N is the near-point distance, and f is the focal length of the eyepiece. The given values for di, N, and f were 18.0 cm, 25.0 cm, and 2.24 cm, respectively.
kmj9k
1. A compound microscope has the objective and eyepiece mounted in a tube that is 18.0 cm long. The focal length of the eyepiece is 2.24 cm, and the near-point distance of the person using the microscope is 25.0 cm. If the person can view the image produced by the microscope with a completely relaxed eye, and the magnification is -4150, what is the focal length of the objective? (Include the sign.)

2. M= (-di / f of objective) (N / f eyepiece)

3. di = 18 - f objective - f eyepiece = 18-2.24- f obj = 15.76- fobjective
4150 = - ( (15.76- fobjective) / f objective) (25.0/2.24)
solved for f objective, and got -0.424 mm, but that's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
[/b]

Hello there,

I would like to clarify a few things about your calculations. First, the negative sign in the magnification formula indicates that the image produced by the microscope is inverted. Therefore, we should use a positive value for the magnification (-4150) in our calculations.

Secondly, the formula you used (M= (-di / f of objective) (N / f eyepiece)) is incorrect. The correct formula for magnification in a compound microscope is M = (-di / do) (N / f), where di is the distance of the image from the eyepiece, do is the distance of the object from the objective, N is the near-point distance, and f is the focal length of the eyepiece.

Using this formula, we can rearrange to solve for the focal length of the objective: do = (-M / N) f. Plugging in the given values, we get do = (-(-4150) / 25.0) (2.24) = 334.4 mm.

Therefore, the focal length of the objective is approximately 334.4 mm. I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Keep up the good work on your calculations!

I would first check the calculations to ensure they are accurate. If the calculations are correct, then I would consider other factors that may be affecting the results. For example, the precision of the measurements, the condition of the microscope, and the accuracy of the magnification value provided. I would also check if there are any other variables that may affect the focal length of the objective, such as the distance between the objective and the eyepiece. If all these factors have been accounted for, and the calculated focal length is still incorrect, then it is possible that there is an error in the given information or in the assumptions made in the calculations. In this case, it may be necessary to repeat the experiment or seek additional information to accurately determine the focal length of the objective.

Related to Compound Microscope: Calculating Focal Length of Objective

1. How do I calculate the focal length of the objective on a compound microscope?

To calculate the focal length of the objective on a compound microscope, you will need to know the magnification of the eyepiece and the distance between the eyepiece and the objective. Then, you can use the formula: Focal length of objective = Magnification of eyepiece x Distance between eyepiece and objective.

2. What is the magnification of the eyepiece on a compound microscope?

The magnification of the eyepiece on a compound microscope is typically 10x. This means that the image seen through the eyepiece will appear 10 times larger than its actual size.

3. How do I measure the distance between the eyepiece and the objective on a compound microscope?

To measure the distance between the eyepiece and the objective on a compound microscope, you can use a ruler or a measuring tape. Simply measure the distance from the top of the eyepiece to the bottom of the objective.

4. Why is it important to calculate the focal length of the objective on a compound microscope?

Calculating the focal length of the objective on a compound microscope is important because it allows you to determine the magnification of the microscope. This information is crucial for accurately observing and measuring objects under the microscope.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the focal length of any objective on a compound microscope?

Yes, the formula for calculating the focal length of the objective on a compound microscope is the same for any objective. However, keep in mind that the magnification of the eyepiece may vary between microscopes, so it is important to check the specifications of your specific microscope before using the formula.