Iraqis tell the reality of Iraq .

• News
  • Thread starter member 5645
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reality
I'm sure you can find your way from there..In summary, Iraqis from various backgrounds and locations have different opinions on the current state of Iraq. Some have seen improvements since the American occupation, while others have not. However, there is hope for a better future and the development of a democratic process, despite the challenges of a divided population and potential corruption in the oil industry. It is important to consider individual stories and not just rely on polls and generalizations.
Originally posted by phatmonky
Why don't you guys try getting back to the poll? Zero, you were nazimod last night atleast.
Good idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by phatmonky
Or the simple fact that there is a much lesser percentage of people that think things are worse off, and therefore it's less likely someone negative willl actually take the time to go into one of the (3?)internet cafes that Iraq has open as of last month.
You guys are putting WAY too much pressure on the posts, which I only put to back up the fact that there are actually people REALLY behind the numbers, that think Iraq is better now than before (and so you could see soem of their reasoning). The fact remains though, that there is no obvious coorelation between speaking English and being affluent. There is also no obvious coorelation through internet usage and being affluent, since many of the cafes allow free access at certain time.
43%. That percentage is 43% that think things are unchanged, and 21% who think things are worse of. In the blogs you gave, if things were representative, 2 would have thought things were no better, and at least one would be telling us that things have become worse. The same would be true of the postings. So, where is the cause of this, then, if it is not just one of access and personal inclination/exposure to the west?

The statistics do not lie, do they? Until I see that 43%, not to mention that 21%, you cannot wave the statements of iraqi bloggers as an absolute and exclusive description of reality. A situation where things are "unchanged" after the way would also represent a failure for the invasion, and the approval has fallen, showing things, as predicted, are getting worse under current mismanagement.

Originally posted by FZ+
43%. That percentage is 43% that think things are unchanged, and 21% who think things are worse of. In the blogs you gave, if things were representative, 2 would have thought things were no better, and at least one would be telling us that things have become worse. The same would be true of the postings. So, where is the cause of this, then, if it is not just one of access and personal inclination/exposure to the west?

I gave the blogs..he gave the quotes..but neither were all inclusive.

It is interesting ...now that you mention it..that on of the blogs given (the link posted in the post following mine) is very negative. I believe her family were ba'athist and she complains quite regularly.
Of my links, if you read through them..you will find Salam Pax, who does not neccesarily think things are better. The others, are a mixed bag they all make negative statements and positive statements in regards to Iraq today compared to yesterday.

I will say..that I would not bet the farm on that poll. But then, I feel that way about all polls. They do make a nice conversation piece though, don't they?

I also don't think that we should be speaking for Iraqi's, they do have a voice..and I don't think the media is allowing it to be heard as they should. There are Iraqi news sources online along with blogs, I think we can grasp some idea of their feelings and how things are going by reading those. I don't think they are neccesarily as negative as the U.S. and Europian media are letting on.

It reminds me of the cartoon -- The Hun is at the Peasant's door:
"So would you say you highly approve, somewhat approve, approve, or disapprove of Attilla? Do you feel strongly about that?"

FZ+ said:
The statistics do not lie, do they? Until I see that 43%, not to mention that 21%, you cannot wave the statements of iraqi bloggers as an absolute and exclusive description of reality.

You're right, they don't lie, but they do skew. I hate statistics. Because of their percentage-based nature, they give this impression that they are unbiased. Even if there was no bias whatsoever in selecting participants, the odds suggest it's rediculous that those participating in the poll actually represent the diversity of opinions among the whole. Until I see a poll involving so many Iraqis that the majority in the poll constitutes the majority of the entire population, I will continue to take such statistics with a grain of salt.

You're right, blogs and quotes are not absolute descriptions of reality, but neither is your statistic.