Components of torque in a solid sphere

In summary: The unit for torque is Nm, or Newton-meters. This is because torque is a combination of a force (measured in Newtons) and a distance (measured in meters). So when you multiply the two together, you get Nm as the unit. And yes, r would also be in meters in this case. So the final unit for torque would be Nm/m, which simplifies to just N.
KiNGGeexD
A uniform sphere of mass M and radius R has a point on its surface fixed at the origin. Its centre lies along a line in the direction of the position vector r = i + 2k + 3k at length R. Find the components of the torque acting on it due to gravity if the z-direction is upwards and gravity acts downwards.

Solution:

First thing I noticed was that there was no y component in the vector r so I figured perhaps there is no torque in that component!

I tried τ= r x sinθ

And simply used r as 5k for the z component and i for the x component!

I used mg as the force and used θ as 90 because all axis are mutually perpendicular, but I think this is the wrong approach! I think the vector r would play more of role!

Also would I use τ= Iαθ

Because it's a sphere? We only touched on rotational torque very briefly in lectures and for this question there is no model answer!:(Thanks for any help:)

Physics news on Phys.org
KiNGGeexD said:
A uniform sphere of mass M and radius R has a point on its surface fixed at the origin. Its centre lies along a line in the direction of the position vector r = i + 2k + 3k at length R. Find the components of the torque acting on it due to gravity if the z-direction is upwards and gravity acts downwards.

Solution:

First thing I noticed was that there was no y component in the vector r so I figured perhaps there is no torque in that component!

I tried τ= r x sinθ

And simply used r as 5k for the z component and i for the x component!

I used mg as the force and used θ as 90 because all axis are mutually perpendicular, but I think this is the wrong approach! I think the vector r would play more of role!

Also would I use τ= Iαθ

Because it's a sphere? We only touched on rotational torque very briefly in lectures and for this question there is no model answer!:(

Thanks for any help:)

It seems there is a typo in the position vector 'r' given in the question.It should be r = i + 2j + 3k .

What is the position vector of the point of application of gravity ?
Write the force of gravity in vector form .
Calculate the cross product of 'r' and 'F' .This would give you the torque .

The vector for gravity would be

mg in the downward k direction

So -2k?

KiNGGeexD said:
The vector for gravity would be

mg in the downward k direction

So -2k?

Why -2k ?

If the torque due to gravity is z downwards! Is the torque in the positive z direction 0 as they are parallel or antiparallel rather

KiNGGeexD said:
If the torque due to gravity is z downwards! Is the torque in the positive z direction 0 as they are parallel or antiparallel rather

You are misinterpreting the question.

The question asks you to consider positive direction of z-axis upwards and gravity downwards . If the positive z-direction is ## \hat {k} ## ,then gravity points in ## -\hat {k} ## .

What is the magnitude of force of gravity on the sphere ?
How do you represent force of gravity in vector form ?

The force =mg -z?

KiNGGeexD said:
The force =mg -z?

No...

## F = -Mg\hat{k} ## .

Sorry I didn't mean z!
Do I use τ = r x Fsinθ

You could but will be a roundabout way. You don't know the angle so you will need to find the angle first.
It would be easier to just cross multiply the two vectors in their component form.

Do the cross product of the two vectors?

And my component vector for force would just be -mg k?

So there would be no torque in the x and y

It will be. It's a cross product.
What is i x j, for example? Is not the same as i.j (dot product).

nasu said:
It will be. It's a cross product.

What is i x j, for example? Is not the same as i.j (dot product).
The way I was taught to do the cross product was in the form of a matrix, not sure!

i x j is equal to z isn't it?

i x j = k
j x k =i
k x i = j

And if the order of the terms is changed, you have a minus sign.
For example, j x i = -k.

So for the x component I would do

τ= r x F

And use just the i component of the vector r?

Why just the i component?
Multiply term by term.
Like you do in algebra when you have something like (a + b +c)x(p+q+r).
Then you will see what components are present in the result.

Last edited:
But then the result will be the same for every component will it not? What is changing?

I don't understand your question.
Just do the multiplication.

( i + 2j + 3k)x(-mgk)

and see what you get.
You are worrying too much for a trivial question.

Last edited:
I would get

mg j - 2mg i + 0

OK. So now you have all the components of the torque. The k component is zero. The other two are not.

And you should take into account some units in the expression of r.
It should be in meters or some other unit of length.
I mean, the i component should be 1m and not just 1. (for example)

So is that the question finished??

All would be in Nm^-1 wouldn't they

You mean N/m?
How would r multiplied by F be in N/m?

The part about "calculating the components of the torque" is done, yes.

Ah ok! Torque would be in N/m^2?

What is the unit for r?
What is the unit for F?

Units for r are metres?

Units for force are Newtons?

So what I said before

N/m ?

What do you get if you multiply Newtons by meters?

Or what do you mean by the "/"? Maybe I misunderstood you. Usually the "/" is used for division.

Yea sorry haha

Newton metres would be the units! To avoid confusion!

This is an extremely trivial question!

Related to Components of torque in a solid sphere

1. What is torque in a solid sphere?

Torque in a solid sphere is the measure of the force that causes rotation in a spherical object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically measured in newton-meters (N*m).

2. What are the components of torque in a solid sphere?

The components of torque in a solid sphere include the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the center of rotation to the point of application of the force, and the angle between the force and the lever arm.

3. How do the components of torque affect the rotation of a solid sphere?

The magnitude of the force and the distance from the center of rotation affect the magnitude of the torque, while the angle between the force and the lever arm determines the direction of the torque. Together, these components determine the rotation of the solid sphere.

4. What is the equation for calculating torque in a solid sphere?

The equation for calculating torque in a solid sphere is: τ = r x F x sin(θ), where τ is torque, r is the distance from the center of rotation to the point of application of the force, F is the magnitude of the force, and θ is the angle between the force and the lever arm.

5. How is torque in a solid sphere used in real-world applications?

Torque in a solid sphere is used in many real-world applications, such as in machinery and vehicles. It is also used in physics and engineering to understand the forces and motion of objects, and in sports to improve techniques and performance.