Components of an Electric field due to a dipole

In summary, the problem is to show that the components of electric field (E) due to a dipole can be represented as Ex=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon{o}} \frac{3pxz}{(x^2+z^2)^{5/2}} and Ez=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon{o}} \frac{p(2z^2-x^2)}{(x^2+z^2)^(5/2)}. The equations E=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon{o}} \frac{Q}{r^2} and p=qd are also given. The attempted solution involved breaking down the fields into vector components, but became complicated and resulted in
forensics409

Homework Statement

The problem is: Show that the components of [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] due to a dipole are given at distant points, by Ex=[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon{o}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{3pxz}{(x^2+z^2)^{5/2}}[/tex] and Ez=[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon{o}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{p(2z^2-x^2)}{(x^2+z^2)^(5/2)}}[/tex]

http://physweb.bgu.ac.il/COURSES/PHYSICS2_B/2009A/homework/Homework-2_files/image006.jpg

Homework Equations

E=[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon{o}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{Q}{r^2}[/tex]
p=qd

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to break the fields of each one into vector components and add the components, however, it got really messy really quickly and after simplifying it a bit i got a ridiculous equation for just the x component, i had no clue where to go and gave up on even try to get the z component.

Ex=[tex]\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon{o}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{((x^2+(z+[tex]\frac{d}{2}[/tex])^2)^3/2-((x^2+(z-[tex]\frac{d}{2}[/tex])^2)^3/2{((x^2+z^2)^2 +([tex]\frac{x^2d^2}{2}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{z^2d^2}{2}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{d^4}{16})^(3/2)[/tex]}

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[/tex]I feel the answer should be far simpler than this, but i cannot see what is wrong with my attempt. Any help would be much appreciated.

Related to Components of an Electric field due to a dipole

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It can be thought of as a bar magnet with a positive and negative pole.

2. What are the components of an electric field due to a dipole?

The components of an electric field due to a dipole are the radial component, which points towards or away from the dipole depending on the location, and the tangential component, which is perpendicular to the radial component and follows the curve of the field lines.

3. How is the magnitude of the electric field at a point due to a dipole calculated?

The magnitude of the electric field at a point due to a dipole can be calculated using the formula E = kqd/r^3, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the dipole charge, and d is the distance between the charges.

4. How does the distance between the charges of a dipole affect the electric field?

The electric field due to a dipole decreases as the distance between the charges increases. This is because the inverse square law states that the magnitude of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

5. How does the orientation of a dipole affect the electric field?

The orientation of a dipole can significantly affect the electric field. When the dipole is aligned with the electric field, the field lines are straight and parallel, resulting in a stronger field. On the other hand, when the dipole is perpendicular to the electric field, the field lines curve and cancel each other out, resulting in a weaker field.