Component resolution of g on an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of trigonometry to determine the value of g, the acceleration due to gravity. The correct equation for calculating g is g = a/sin(theta), where a is the acceleration down the ramp and theta is the angle formed perpendicular to the ramp. It is incorrect to use the equation sin(theta) = g/a, as the component of g in the down incline direction can never exceed the full vector of g. Drawing a diagram can help clarify this concept.
themselv

Homework Statement

Hi, I just had a quick conceptual question.
I understand that if I have an object moving down a ramp, it is being accelerated only by gravity. My question is this:

We should be able to experimentally calculate g if we measure the acceleration down the ramp. Then we can use trigonometry to determine a value for g. However, this only works if you take the
acceleration down the ramp divided by the sin (theta) . I understand where this comes from (redrawing the angle theta in the middle where the object starts from), but why can we not calculate the component of gravity by saying:

sin (theta) = g / a

This makes more sense to me looking at the initial angle, because g appears to be the opposite side and the acceleration down the ramp appears to be the hypotenuse.

Can someone please help clarify?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
themselv said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I just had a quick conceptual question.
I understand that if I have an object moving down a ramp, it is being accelerated only by gravity. My question is this:

We should be able to experimentally calculate g if we measure the acceleration down the ramp. Then we can use trigonometry to determine a value for g. However, this only works if you take the
acceleration down the ramp divided by the sin (theta) . I understand where this comes from (redrawing the angle theta in the middle where the object starts from), but why can we not calculate the component of gravity by saying:

sin (theta) = g / a

This makes more sense to me looking at the initial angle, because g appears to be the opposite side and the acceleration down the ramp appears to be the hypotenuse.

Can someone please help clarify?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it will be easier if you draw a diagram

pzqwWWV.png

I realize that an expression for g should be g = a/sin(theta) by looking at the angle that's formed perpendicular to the plane.

However, if I just look at angle theta in the bottom left corner, why am I not justified in saying g = sin(theta)*a, since to me it appears that the sine of angle theta is just opposite over hypotenuse, or g/a.

"However, if I just look at angle theta in the bottom left corner, why am I not justified in saying g = sin(theta)*a, since to me it appears that the sine of angle theta is just opposite over hypotenuse, or g/a."

Because you've not got the correct triangle set up. The hypoteneuse of a triangle is its longest side. The component of the gravitational acceleration (g) in the down incline direction is what gives you a. Since a component (a) can never exceed the full vector (g) in magnitude, it follows that a cannot be the hypoteneuse.

Chris.

The hypotenuse is the longest side, which is (correctly) labelled g in your diagram. The side opposite angle ## \theta ## is (correctly) labelled a. So opposite over hypotenuse is ## \frac{a}{g} ## not ## \frac{g}{a} ##.

Related to Component resolution of g on an inclined plane

1. What is component resolution of g on an inclined plane?

Component resolution of g on an inclined plane is a method used to determine the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane, taking into account the influence of gravity and the angle of inclination.

2. How is component resolution of g on an inclined plane calculated?

The acceleration due to gravity (g) can be resolved into two components: one parallel to the incline and one perpendicular to the incline. The component parallel to the incline is calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where θ is the angle of inclination. The component perpendicular to the incline is calculated using the formula a = gcosθ.

3. What is the significance of component resolution of g on an inclined plane?

Component resolution of g on an inclined plane is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane, taking into account the effects of gravity and the angle of inclination. This information is crucial in understanding the motion and behavior of objects on inclined planes.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect the component resolution of g?

The angle of inclination has a direct impact on the component resolution of g. As the angle of inclination increases, the component of g parallel to the incline decreases while the component perpendicular to the incline increases. This means that the steeper the incline, the greater the acceleration of the object perpendicular to the incline.

5. Are there any real-world applications of component resolution of g on an inclined plane?

Yes, component resolution of g on an inclined plane has many practical applications. For example, it is used in engineering to design ramps and roads with specific angles of inclination for vehicles to safely travel on. It is also used in physics experiments to study the motion of objects on inclined planes.