Proving Properties of Exponents Using Induction: A Guide

• Thread starter Ed Quanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to prove three statements involving k being an element of the set of natural numbers and m, n being elements of the set of natural numbers or zero. It is mentioned that k^0=1 is necessary for the proof, and it is clarified that k is defined as a positive integer. The conversation ends with the assurance that the proof has been obtained.
Ed Quanta
For k is an element of the set of natural numbers, and m,n are elements of the set of natural numbers or the set of zero, I have to prove that

1)k^n is an element of the set of natural numbers
2)k^mk^n=k^(m+n)
and
3) (k^m)^n= k^(mn)

I'm pretty confident that these can be shown by induction using the set of whole numbers. But it was never shown in class that k^0=1. Is there any way I can go about showing this? If anyone can just give me some feedback that would be much appreciated as it has been this entire semester. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"and m,n are elements of the set of natural numbers or the set of zero"

Isn't particularly clear.

Regardless, if you're defining exponentiation inductively, then you still need a k^0 or k^1 case that is handled in some different way.

Effectively, k^0=1 by definition.

By " and m,n are elements of the set of natural numbers or the set of zero", I think you mean m, n are natural numbers or zero (the phrase "the set of zero" is unclear). Normally that's referred to as the "set of whole numbers".

The key thing you should be thinking about is the precise definition of "kn" that you are using. The definitions I know give k0= 1 as part of the definition.

Often a definition starts by defining k1= k, the recursively defining kn= k*kn-1 but that only works for the natural numbers. Since, for m, n natural numbers, we have kn*km= kn+m, in order to extend kn to include 0 and still have that true, we must define k0= 1 in order that kn+0= knk0= kn. Of course, to do that, you must also limit k to being a positive number. I assume you are limiting k to be a positive integer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm sorry. I forgot to say that k is defined as a natural number. Thanks bro, I think I got the proof.

What is the definition of induction?

Induction is a method of reasoning in which a conclusion is reached based on a series of observations or examples.

What is the difference between induction and deduction?

Induction starts with specific observations and draws a general conclusion, while deduction starts with a general principle and applies it to specific situations.

How is induction used in science?

In science, induction is often used to form hypotheses and make predictions based on observations. It is also used to create classifications and definitions based on observed patterns.

Can induction lead to certain knowledge?

No, induction can only provide probable or likely conclusions based on past observations. It does not guarantee absolute certainty.

What are the limitations of induction?

Induction can lead to incorrect conclusions if there is a limited sample size or if there are unobserved factors that can affect the outcome. It also cannot account for future or unknown events.