Component is diagonal in the basis

In summary, the paper being analyzed for the thesis includes an equation that involves the Pauli matrices σ_1 and σ_2. The component σ_1 is diagonal in the (1/√2, +/- 1/√2) linear polarization basis and the component σ_2 is diagonal in the circular polarization basis (1/√2, +/- i/√2). The mathematical representation of σ_1 and σ_2 being diagonal in these bases involves finding eigenvalues and diagonalizing the matrices. However, there may be complications with diagonalizing σ_2 due to the complex eigenvalue √i^2.
vredina97
Hi, I am analyzing the paper for my thesis and have

Equation

IF=-1*(1+cos(δ))*cot(θ)*σ_2-sin(δ)*cot(θ)*σ_1

where σ_1={{0,1},{1,0}} and σ_2={{0,-i},{i,0}} are the Pauli matrices

The component σ_1 is diagonal in the (1/√2, +/- 1/√2) linear polarization basis and the component σ_2 is diagonal in the circular polarization basis (1/√2, +/- i/√2).

What is mathematical representation of σ_1 and σ_2 being diagonal in that basis.

Thanks in advance,

vredina97

Physics news on Phys.org
vredina97 said:
What is mathematical representation of σ_1 and σ_2 being diagonal in that basis.
What do you mean by "that basis"? You refer to two bases, the "linear polarization basis" and the "circular polarization basis". Are you referring to one of those or some other basis?

Likes 1 person
The σ_1={{0,1},{1,0}} and σ_2={{0,-i},{i,0}} are the Pauli matrices

I have to find diagonal to σ_1 in the (1/√2, +/- 1/√2) linear polarization basis and diagonal to σ_2 in the circular polarization basis (1/√2, +/- i/√2).

I found that diagonal to σ_1 is {{1,0},{0,-1}} (where 1 and -1 are eigenvalues of σ_1={{0,1},{1,0}}) in {1/√2}{1/√2} and {1/√2}{- 1/√2} basis.

But I have troubles with σ_2={{0,-i},{i,0}} where i get eigenvalues lambda=√-1=√i^2. If eigenvalue is complex then matrix can not be diagonalized? or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance,

vredina97

Related to Component is diagonal in the basis

What does it mean for a component to be diagonal in a basis?

When a component is diagonal in a basis, it means that the matrix representing the component has only non-zero entries along the main diagonal. This indicates that the component is independent of the other components in that basis and can be easily manipulated and studied.

How do you determine if a component is diagonal in a basis?

To determine if a component is diagonal in a basis, you can represent the component as a matrix and check if all the entries outside of the main diagonal are zero. If they are, then the component is diagonal in that basis.

Why is it important for a component to be diagonal in a basis?

When a component is diagonal in a basis, it simplifies calculations and makes it easier to analyze the behavior of the component. This is because the component is independent of the other components in that basis, allowing for a more focused analysis.

Can a component be diagonal in one basis but not in another?

Yes, a component can be diagonal in one basis but not in another. This is because the basis used to represent a component can greatly affect its representation as a matrix. A different basis can result in different matrix representations and therefore, different diagonality of the component.

Are there any real-life applications of diagonal components in a basis?

Yes, diagonal components in a basis have many real-life applications, especially in the field of quantum mechanics. For example, diagonal components in a basis are used to represent states in quantum systems and are essential in understanding the behavior of these systems.