Component Acceleration/Velocity

• Thread starter mathewings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, the problem involves a sailboat traveling east at 4.10 m/s, with a sudden gust of wind giving the boat an acceleration of (0.500 m/s2, 40.0° north of east). The question is what will be the boat's speed 5.90 s later when the gust subsides. Suggestions for solving the problem include using vector components and plugging in the values for time and acceleration.
mathewings
The problem is stated as follows:

A sailboat is traveling east at 4.10 m/s. A sudden gust of wind gives the boat an acceleration a=(0.500 m/s2,40.0° north of east). What is the boat's speed 5.90 s later when the gust subsides?

I've tried breaking it into component vectors, but no luck. Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
mathewings said:
The problem is stated as follows:

A sailboat is traveling east at 4.10 m/s. A sudden gust of wind gives the boat an acceleration a=(0.500 m/s2,40.0° north of east). What is the boat's speed 5.90 s later when the gust subsides?

I've tried breaking it into component vectors, but no luck. Suggestions?

It's easier to write down the whole vectors. So, [tex]\vec{v}(t) = \vec{v}_{0}+\vec{a}\cdot t = 4.1 \vec{i} + (0.5\cos(40) \vec{i} + 0.5\sin(40) \vec{j})t[/tex]. Plug in t = 5.9 and you'll have your velocity vector. (The speed is it's magnitude.)

what are the equations you are using?

I totally understand your formula; I made the proper substitutions and it works. Thanks.

Related to Component Acceleration/Velocity

What is component acceleration/velocity?

Component acceleration/velocity refers to the acceleration/velocity of a specific component or part of an object, rather than the object as a whole. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

How is component acceleration/velocity calculated?

Component acceleration/velocity can be calculated by breaking down the overall acceleration/velocity vector into its component parts using trigonometric functions. This allows for the determination of the acceleration/velocity along a specific axis or direction.

What is the difference between component acceleration and component velocity?

Component acceleration measures the rate of change in the velocity of a specific component, while component velocity measures the displacement of a specific component over time. In other words, acceleration is the change in velocity, while velocity is the change in position.

What factors can affect component acceleration/velocity?

Component acceleration/velocity can be affected by a variety of factors, including the forces acting on the object, the mass and inertia of the object, and any external factors such as friction or air resistance.

Why is understanding component acceleration/velocity important?

Understanding component acceleration/velocity is crucial for analyzing the motion of objects and predicting their future movements. It is also essential for designing and optimizing systems, such as vehicles and machines, to ensure they function properly and efficiently.