Complicated delta function integral

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral involving the Dirac delta function and its properties. The user is struggling to find the answer and makes a guess, questioning whether the property f'(a) = f'(-a) is true. However, it is pointed out that this property is not true in general.
helpcometk

Homework Statement

Hi guys ,please look at the integral on the attachement.Does anyone have seen this integral before ?

Homework Equations

We have the following two properties :

∫δ'(x-x0)f(x) dx =-f'(x0)

δ(x^2-a^2)= {δ(x-a) +δ(x+a)}/2a

The Attempt at a Solution

Please help ,i have studied all the physics books available and I am starting searching for the answer in books of history.Im desperate .I couldn't find this integral nowhere no matter how hard i would search.

~ONE GUESS OF MINE ~
so can one say :∫{f(x){δ'(x-a) +δ'(x+a)}/2a } dx and then split this integral in two :

∫{f(x)δ'(x-a)/2a + f(x)δ'(x+a)}/2a} dx and now we use the first property i gave above
to get:
{-f'(a)-f'(-a)}/2a =-f'(a)/a ~ this just a guess and in the last step i have assumed :

f'(a)=f'(-a) is this last property true ?

This was just a guess ,and i need a definite answer so please don't reply if you are not sure about the answer.

Attachments

• gggggggggg.PNG
    gggggggggg.PNG
    898 bytes · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
helpcometk said:
δ(x^2-a^2)= {δ(x-a) +δ(x+a)}/2a
Are you sure of that? I get {δ(x-a) +δ(x+a)}/4a

haruspex said:
Are you sure of that? I get {δ(x-a) +δ(x+a)}/4a

I'd agree with the OP.

helpcometk said:
~ this just a guess and in the last step i have assumed :

f'(a)=f'(-a) is this last property true ?

This is not true in general. For example, take f(x) = x^2. f'(x) = 2x, which does not possesses the property f'(x) = f'(-x).

Related to Complicated delta function integral

1. What is a complicated delta function integral?

A complicated delta function integral is an integral that involves a delta function, which is a mathematical function used to represent a point mass or impulse. These integrals can be challenging to solve because they typically involve complex functions or multiple variables.

2. How is a complicated delta function integral different from a regular delta function integral?

A regular delta function integral involves a simple delta function (such as δ(x)) integrated over a range of values. A complicated delta function integral, on the other hand, involves a more complex delta function (such as δ(x^2 + y^2)) integrated over a more complicated region.

3. What are some applications of complicated delta function integrals?

Complicated delta function integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles, in signal processing to analyze signals, and in control theory to model systems with impulses or shocks.

4. How do you solve a complicated delta function integral?

Solving a complicated delta function integral involves manipulating the integral using various mathematical techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and the properties of the delta function. It also requires a good understanding of the problem at hand and the application of appropriate mathematical concepts.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help with solving complicated delta function integrals?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can assist with solving complicated delta function integrals. These include computer algebra systems like Mathematica and MATLAB, as well as online integral calculators specifically designed for complicated integrals. However, it is important to understand the underlying mathematics and concepts to use these tools effectively.